Copper coffee pot

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by rknarr2, Feb 12, 2019.

  1. rknarr2

    rknarr2 Well-Known Member

    I have spent a lot of time researching this piece with no aveil. When I was up in the corner of the loft of the barn, I found this coffee pot. My first impressions was it was an old iron coffee pot but then I took the lid off of the pot and took the cotton from an old bed that the mice were using inside the coffee pot, I noticed the copper sides. I thought wow, this is a copper kettle pot. I slid the copper pot down a board to the bottom of the barn so I would not have to go up and down the steep stairs but it got speed up and bumped into something and put a dent in the side of it. My mom does not appreciate this and wants me to put it in recycle but I am really proud of this kettle. The bottom is 9 1/4" Diameter, the lid hole is 4 1/2" Diameter, the spout is 1 3/4" at its midsection, 5" height, the black handle folds over, the bottom of kettle I think is iron. I wanted to find out year, make, model and if you think it has copper sides? Thank you. Rob
    IMG_7398small.JPG IMG_7399small.JPG IMG_7400small.JPG IMG_7401small.JPG IMG_7402small.JPG
    AJefferson likes this.
  2. evelyb30

    evelyb30 Well-Known Member

    It's definitely been around a while, but I'd guess it's pre-WWII 20th century. It looks like a really old piece of Revere Ware, from back when they still made pots worth buying. The bottoms were copper and the tops were stainless steel. Copper is a better conductor than steel could ever be, so manufacturers made the bottoms of the better metal.
  3. Marie Forjan

    Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

    I would call it a kettle, not a coffee pot, JMHO :)
  4. Ownedbybear

    Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

    A kettle indeed, and meant to go on a stove top, not over a fire. That shape is still made here.
    Pat P, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

    say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

    The fold over style of an all black handle together with a removable pot lid doesn't come up in a quick search of copper kettles (for me anyway). I was going to suggest having a close look at the base and elsewhere for any maker markings.
    judy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

    Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

    Foldover handles usually mean for camping here.
    judy likes this.
  7. rknarr2

    rknarr2 Well-Known Member

    Good job a traveling kettle

Share This Page