COPPER OR BRASS? LARGE 4 ARM BUDDHA ELEPHANT w/MOUSE PRAYING TO IT?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found a couple of Buddhist religious figures at a local thrifts store today, including this large (21" x 8" x 10.5") elephant with a mouse praying to it?
    Is it copper or brass?
    Any idea of age (It has the old slot screws holding the halo in place and also one holding the mouse).
    I found one that looked like it & they were asking $550!! Is it that valuable?
    Thank you; I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT STATUE LARGE 1A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT STATUE LARGE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT STATUE LARGE 6AA.jpg

AuDragon and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hindu, not Buddhist. My favourite god, is Ganesha. A figure of him is traditionally cast into running water at his festival. This happens in the Thames.;)

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Hindu - thanks.
    Why is the mouse praying to him?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Read the article that Bronwen linked to, it explains.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I started it. Will finish in morning
    Thanks

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. journeymagazine

The mouse is his vehicle? So he turns into a mouse to get into small places? Or he turned someone into a large mouse and then a small one when he couldn't carry the god?
    I'm stupid or need more coffee - I didn't get it 100%
    But I did get that the mouse belongs!
    Final request - Is there a way to tell if this is copper or brass?
    Thank you!

judy likes this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad.....I couldn't get beyond the word R A T!!!!

Hate the things.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There was a celestial musician-god by the name Krauncha. One day, in the court of Lord Indra, Krauncha accidentally stepped on the foot of Muni Vamadeva, who (as all Munis), got enraged and cursed Krauncha to become a mouse. However, Krauncha became a huge mountain-sized mouse and ended up damaging everything in its path. Once, he ended up stepping on the ashram of Maharshi Parashar, with whom Lord Ganesha was staying, and destroying it. Lord Ganesha, inorder to teach Krauncha a lesson, unleashed his pasha (noose) on Krauncha which ended up looping around the mouse and bringing him to Lord Ganesha's feet. Ganesha then said something like, "Krauncha...you have caused a lot of trouble and you deserve a severe punishment. But since you ask for my forgiveness, I will pardon you and use you as my vehicle". However, when Ganesha mounted on Krauncha, he couldnt bear the weight of Lord Ganesha. Krauncha pleaded for Ganesha to become light-weight so that he could support him. Lord Ganesha obliged and since then, has been using the mouse as his vehicle[4][5].

Draft saved Draft deleted