Copper Teapot Identification

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ForgetfulExplorer, May 30, 2023.

1. Hello! I am trying to identify the origin or maybe time period of this tea pot, does anyone recognize anything about it?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

image000006 (7).jpg image000007 (4).jpg image000008 (3).jpg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Difficult to age, because one of mine was made about 50 years ago, by a Swedish craftsman here in the US. He was a friend of my maternal grandmother. It's the same style of the OP's. It's the only style I am familiar with.........(I know, never end a sentance with a preposition!)

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Although, many come with legs rather than a flat bottom.

Not sure where mine is at the moment...........I'm ashamed to say I don't keep it polished.............so I've hidden it.:p

Also, it is said to have served Glögg, the Swedish hot spicey drink at Christmas.

We always had so much company on Christmas Eve, we served it right from the pot in which it was made.......guests helped themselves..................:cat:

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

(And we still serve it that way...............)

ForgetfulExplorer and antidiem like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

If you google https:
    glögg pot

You will find many...........and much newer styles with which I am not familiar..................

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ironically, I just bought a very similar one from the local thrift. Paid a whole $7.00. I assumed Swedish but similar ones came from other places in Northern Europe/Scandinavia and Russia as well. Here's mine:

thriftcopper.JPG thriftcopper2.JPG

These were made the same for decades. The simplicity of yours in comparison to some could be an indication that it is a bit newer. However, it could just have been a less expensive, more utilitarian version when new.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm more inclined to say that the OP's is a bit older..........gorgeous color.

I should also say that some were made much smaller as souvenirs.

ForgetfulExplorer and komokwa like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I see the little knob on the cover is missing.....................

ForgetfulExplorer likes this.
  12. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts!

judy likes this.
  13. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Here in Norway, we find these all over the place, and a friend of mine has over ninety hanging from his kitchen ceiling, ranging from the very smallest, which is only about 3" (7.5cm) tall, up to one that probably holds ten gallons! They usually have a number stamped on the handle, so he has collected the whole series. The smallest ones are quite rare.
    There is also a variation that has a ring about a third of the way up from the bottom, these were for use on a ships stove.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023