Copper Three Glass Oil Lamp Identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nathan Lindop, May 19, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hi everyone, haven’t posted in a little while I’ve been hooked to Instagram recently xD

Saw this rather beautiful oil lamp for sale near me. Can’t really find much about it and I have never looked at oil lamps before. Wanted to throw this on here for anyone to help with a little more info on what it really is? Before I spend my money. Thanks for any help in advance. :pompous::bookworm:

Copper always shouts arts and crafts but It’s probably because I love the stuff. Haha

261586B5-7EAF-464D-98E8-FFEA1306FA9D.jpeg 53FA6E65-6242-44A0-81BE-42198750438F.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Might be a carriage oil/kerosene lamp.

3. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I agree with that thought.

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think it is older than turn of the 20th Century.
    greg

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

No handle, swing handle or place for it to look like it was held in a bracket???? And wait....what do you mean "three glass".....is the door copper that closes.....can you show another image????

judy likes this.
  6. Nathan Lindop

The description they gave was three Glass I have know idea what they meant xD and I can’t get any pictures. This is all of the puzzle I’m afraid :bored:

judy likes this.
  7. Nathan Lindop

I believe the whole lamp is copper aswell

judy likes this.
  8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Nathan,
    I wonder if it might possibly have been used on a boat? If the back door is solid (no glass), then I agree with the others that it was probably used in a bracket of some sort. However, the little ledge at the base all the way around would have made it difficult to use this way, the fit would have been lose. The front sloped glass also suggests it was used to throw the light downwards, also suggesting use on some form of transport. The little awning at the front could also have directed rain away from the glass. The side glass looks quite old and very thick. The solder repairs (typically used in stained glass manufacture) on the inside also look old. More photos of the underside and back cover would help. A lovely find and I think its worth investigating further. A local museum or even a university? Best of luck.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  9. Nathan Lindop

I’m well interested in it now! Haha I might have a push at buying it. Hopefully it doesn’t go to too much money. How old d’you guys think then? Mid 19th century.

Learn about old solder now. Thanks @AuDragon

10. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

You are welcome Nathan,
    The solder could also be lead, but that was also used in stained glass manufacture. Really hard to estimate an age and I am no expert. We used kerosene lamps in Australia, especially in the country, until after WWII. I used them as a child when camping and we even had a kerosene heather in the house. But nothing as fine or as interesting as this lamp. I'd say possibly late 19th Century, but it would really help if others could confirm its use. Was there any more information?

11. Nathan Lindop

No seems like it’s been catalogued as an oil lamp and that’s it. Nothing else

12. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

With no knowledge in oil lamps, just comparing on the internet, it resembles ship lamp shape. Except I don’t see any type with a rectangular chimney. And there are no protective bars on yours.

13. Nathan Lindop

Yeh I see what you mean from my searches. I bought it for around £60 so a few other people were interested too xD . I’ll get more pics of it when I’m home

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted