Featured Copper tray table from Iran

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elaineblack, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Elaineblack

Elaineblack New Member

3BBB2DF5-C5FA-4842-A555-18C96713F8D0.jpeg A3F8A927-B89E-4CC6-8565-750E525FF8BD.jpeg 0D44B415-E9D2-4FE3-A159-A27E09EEC7B9.jpeg Hello, I’m new! I have this beautiful copper tray table which I have been told is over 100 years old from Iran. My research brought me to The story etching being about the “source of creation” The Fravashis of the Righteous.. but I do not know what it translates to at the bottom (would love to)
    I understand that there are grades of copper quality as well and Iranian copper has a history.. Any chance someone can shed some additional light to something like this?
    value and translation

Potteryplease, aaroncab, Lark and 6 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Welcome, Elaine...you're in good company here!

Elaineblack, johnnycb09 and Lark like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice table, I haven't seen that bent stand before.
    I can certainly see the winged Fravahar, but I can't see the figures below it very well. I love a good Zoroastrian piece though, although I can never understand them the way Avestans and Zoroastrians do
    The script doesn't look like Avestan. With that Arabic look I guess it is Farsi.
    While we do have someone who can decipher Arabic, Farsi is another language. The script is quite similar, so I'll tag @GreekAntiques for you anyway, you never know.:)
    Yes, Iran is an important copper country. Your tray is tinned copper. They often plated copper with tin for the nice silvery look.
    There were times when import of silver was impossible, due to wars or restrictions, so local tin was used. As a result, tinning became popular even when (expensive) silver was available.

4. Elaineblack

Elaineblack New Member

Thank you!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Elaineblack

Elaineblack New Member

6. Elaineblack

Elaineblack New Member

I love this feedback. Thank you.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

You're welcome Elaine.

Elaineblack, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that stand didn't start life with the top.

9. Any Jewelry

It looks more MCM European than traditional Iranian, doesn't it.

Elaineblack likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

That's exactly my thought, aj. I swear I've seen it with a glass top.

11. Any Jewelry

I could see that with a glass top. Glass broke, lovely tray at hand to replace it.

12. Ownedbybear

I'd say you're spot on with that. The base itself is super.

Elaineblack likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Excellent quality. Looks like teakwood, possibly Danish?

Elaineblack likes this.
  14. GreekAntiques

GreekAntiques "Wisdom begins in wonder." Socrates

Good evening all. Apologies for the delay, but I do not get online as much as I'd like to. @Any Jewelry you are, as always, spot on. @Elaineblack it is Farsi, which I am afraid I do not read. The first word is "Isfahan," I believe.

15. Ownedbybear

I'd think teak and I'd also think Danish is a good call. Bet it was smoked glass.

Elaineblack likes this.
  16. Elaineblack

Elaineblack New Member

Good evening All! Thank you so very much for taking the time to comment @Any Jewelry @GreekAntiques

I do not have any background in antiques and this was given to me with little or no details. Knowing the language is Farsi is another great addition to my table :) I really have no idea if it is a rare piece or even valuable. Any ideas there?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Elaineblack

Elaineblack New Member

Oh I would never have considered that. I’ve attached another pic

Attached Files:

18. Elaineblack

Elaineblack New Member

I assumed it came with the table. I’m becoming more and more interested in solving my table mystery with all of your feedback

komokwa likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

You came here with one item, and you now have two.;)
    You can have a glass tabletop made for the MCM stand, or maybe even find a ready made one that fits. Make sure it is safe. That way it is a complete sidetable again. MCM furniture is very sought after at the moment.
    And then you have that wonderful Avestan or Zoroastrian tray, which is special in its own right.

Elaineblack and Bakersgma like this.
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have a brass Middle Eastern tray with a similar base, though I think mine has 6 legs. I wonder if some importer had bases made to fit trays he/she imported separately. I agree that the base looks more Scandinavian or European in origin.

Elaineblack and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted