Featured Coral necklace clasp 14K G ??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Doing this auction as a fundraiser for a good cause, so want to get it right.

Thinking this is angel skin coral, am I correct? Hand knotted, graduated 26". First photo shows the entire piece but I think I may need to photograph again because it makes all the beads look white when actually they are sort of cream colored with some tinges of pink.

Clasp is marked 14K with sort of a sideways "G" afterwards. Does 14KG mean anything or are we looking at two unrelated marks?

I've also noticed that there are some imperfections in the beads. (See photo 4 and the last photo.) How to describe those? Do you think something that happened after the necklace was created or would the beads have always been like that?

As usual, thank you for taking a look.

coral1b.jpg coral1c.jpg coral1d.jpg coral4.jpg coral5.jpg coral6.jpg coral9.jpg

quirkygirl, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Reported
    (Not you, Lucille)

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thank you INH.

kyratango, KSW, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, angel skin coral. Could be 14KG is just 14 karat gold. I can't really tell what the imperfection is that the pen is pointing to. My guess is that it is a natural blemish, particularly as it seems to be one of the larger beads. The larger the piece, the more likelihood of imperfections. Suspect they would look better after a bath.

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. Coral is prone to little divots like that; it's the nature of the beast.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thank you both. I think I'm good to go with this!

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

blow out the description......GOLD...Hand Knotted......From NATURE !!!!
    :playful::playful::playful:

& I hope it makes good money for your cause !!!!!!!!!:kiss:

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s beautiful and I’m sure it will sell well.
    I think the imperfections help sometimes as people see it as proof that it’s the real deal. If it’s too perfect I am always suspicious that it’s glass or very modern.
    Does the clasp polish up? Have a look through a loupe to see if it’s plated. I’ve seen a few of those findings that say something a bit vague like that and found they are plated and you don’t want the hassle of a return. Or do you have a helpful jeweller who could test it for you?
    The last time I washed one of these it let go as the thread was fragile so be very gentle if you do!.
    Where are you listing it?:angelic:

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looks good to me Lucille. I would think twice about washing it, as KSW said, sometimes the thread can be fragile :zombie:

gauntlettgems, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You can point out that this is true angel skin coral in color, not the orange stuff people wish were angel skin. I'll bow on the washing, although those knots look made of some pretty sturdy cord. You could wipe them down several times with a damp sponge.

komokwa, Lucille.b and KSW like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Thank you for the additional thoughts and very good suggestions. I will mention that this is true angel skin coral in color. I like that wording.

I won't be dunking this in water due to the hand knotting. Might do some light cleaning, just with a lightly damp cloth, but actually it doesn't need too much.

Also will take a 2nd look at the clasp. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    KSW, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted