Featured Coral (?) Necklace - Worth the Repair?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 3, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this necklace today, which I believe is real red coral. I would like your opinions on whether you think this is true or not.
    Unfortunately, on the way home, the wire of the necklace broke apart. Luckily, it was in a bag and I didn't drop any of the pieces.
    Looking at it more closely, though, I can see one piece had already been broken. Also I think it had been repaired before and someone added the chain, which doesn't seem to go with the coral. The coral pieces are approximately 13 inches in length. I'm not skilled with jewelry, so I would have to use a jeweler or bead shop to get it repaired. So in your opinion, is it worth spending the money and, if so:
    1. Should I ask them to use thread or wire?
    2. Should I ask them to knot between the pieces?
    3. The chain section is 10 inches for a total length of 23 inches. What do you recommend instead of this thick chain and how long should it be?
    Any comments appreciated.

IMG_7410.jpg IMG_7411.jpg IMG_7412.jpg IMG_7413.jpg IMG_7414.jpg IMG_7415.jpg IMG_7416.jpg IMG_7418.jpg IMG_7419.jpg

KSW, ulilwitch and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Wow. I know nothing.

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Me either. :)

KSW likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Depends what you like to wear for the length...
    knots are knot nessessary..
    waxed linen would be my preference..

Send it all to KYRA !!!!!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Assuming you're repairing for your own use, depends on the style you prefer and the amount you're willing to spend.

Debora

6. KikoBlueEyes

I was looking for what generally is used with this type of necklace. I plan to wear it.

KSW likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Unfortunately Kyra is an ocean away. Thanks for the thoughts on material and the knots. It appears that thin wire is not the way to go.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but... I think the design of your necklace is dramatic, as is. You could just have it restrung on nylon thread, which would be gentler on the coral and unlikely to break. (You'd want to omit the broken piece, of course.) Knotting between elements is costly and a bit grand for a costume jewelry necklace.

Debora

9. KikoBlueEyes

Thank Debora. That’s exactly what I am looking for. A direction

kyratango and Debora like this.
  10. komokwa

....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hee!!

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

No not that kind of direction :):)

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

:playful::playful::playful::playful::woot:

kyratango likes this.
  13. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

It would be super easy to string that yourself. You would just need a couple of crimp beads to attach the clasp to whatever type of string or wire you use.

Try googling or youtubing for directions.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. I agree. And crimp beads easy to acquire.

Debora

15. KikoBlueEyes

I will try, but the other issue is the chain. I want to replace that, since the necklace is broken. thank you

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Okay. There is a beading store near me. I'll check to see if it is open. Some places here are still closed with COVID restrictions or never reopened.

komokwa likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If it's a chain, see if you can find a coupon before you go.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Nice find! Rebeading isn't that difficult. Lots of video's on You Tube. There aren't that many pieces... I'd tackle it myself. Even the knotting between ISN'T difficult if you have a large pin to direct the loop of the knot to; before you tighten up the knot. Again on You Tube. If you use a nylon filament thing...you will have to for go the knots and take care using crimp beads as the nylon can be cut or slides off; depending on how tight you crimp. I'd use a decent weight pearl cord. That does knot nicely and drapes well AND works better to tie off in crimps and clam shells.
    Good luck,
    Cheerio,
    Leslie
    PS. As for the chain. It "looks" like the ends of the chain are just attached on each end piece of coral, rather than going clear through all the pieces. In which case you may have a really hard time finding a replacement. Perhaps leave those pegs in place (that are anchored in the coral) and just replace the chain. It looks like it is just tarnished and would clean up ok.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Good idea. I've been there before and the woman who runs it is pretty helpful. Gave me advice without me buying anything.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, good. Then you'll have personalized service.

Debora

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted