Featured Cordials from Latvia, Towle Knife and Lunt Spoon

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 25, 2018.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

It's definitely been a slow couple of weeks hunting for silver, but I finally got enough to post a few photos. Today I scored a great set of 4 cordials from Latvia. They are marked 875 and they were taped together with a silverplated pitcher. Earlier this week I found a Lunt spoon and a Towle knife. I like the knife, because it isn't weighted, I can feel it's hollow in the middle. Here's the photos!

IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG

cxgirl, judy, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those are very nice finds, Nat. Just wondering, though - why do you think the knife handle doesn't have cement inside? Could have shrunk as it dried out over the years.

judy likes this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thanks Bakersgma,

Regarding the question: When I flick it with my finger, it makes a nice hollow ring. When I shake the knife vigorously, I don't hear anything at all. My experience (my little experience) has taught me that weighted items tend to get break up of the resin/cement. All my other weighted flatware when shaken produces a slight rattle from the resin/cement. As always, I could be wrong, and happy to admit when I am.

cxgirl, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

I don't know..... But if it really were hollow (with absolutely nothing inside, seems to me that there would dents. Not to mention that the design is 3-dimensional. It doesn't really matter if you have no intention of scrapping it. ;)

MrNate and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

MrNate, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Bakersgma

I just looked up my mother's pattern in Warman's Sterling Silver Flatware. There are several pieces that are described as "hollow handle" including the dinner knives. I know for a fact that those knives have cement inside. One got into the dishwasher by mistake and split. Cement all over the place.

MrNate, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The OP's knife is a carving knife...if that makes any difference.

MrNate and judy like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

that’s a good point, I guess based on the other knives that I have that are weighted, I don’t sense that it’s a thin layer of silver it feels much more solid to me but I don’t know for sure

cxgirl and judy like this.
  10. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted