corn cob holders

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by rknarr2, Apr 25, 2020.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I have a box of 8 corn cob holders. The box dimensions are around 5 3/4" x 3 1/4" x 5/8" and corn cob holders dimensions are about 2 7/8" x 1/2" at middle of handle and middle of blade x 1/2" at middle of handle and 1/8" middle of blade. No company name was found on the box nor sterling were found on the corn cob holders. I would like help identify the material such as silver plating, nickel plating or chrome? I would also like help with decade these were made? I thought 1950s. Thank you for assistance in these requests. rknarr2
    IMG_0937small.JPG IMG_0936small.JPG IMG_0932small.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I came back here to check on the thread and noticed all the comments. I revisited the link and saw that they DID NOT look anything like these in the OP. I must have been flipping back and forth to look for similarities and made a mistake. Sorry, rknarr2.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    rknarr2 likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Actually, those don't look much like them at all. The ones you found are much more detailed, and as you say marked sterling.

rknarr2 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Not really the same as the ones in the link have much greater detail and are clearly marked "sterling"

Hard to tell from your photos Rob, but are the dark areas on your corn holders tarnish? If so, I would think silver plated.

edited to add that I really should learn to type quicker (or hit refresh before posting a reply) ;)

anundverkaufen likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The box looks older, 1950s maybe 40s.
    I think they are plated. Almost look chrome like or maybe aluminum. If silver plated you would think there would be a tarnish.

Is this pitting?
    upload_2020-4-25_13-29-24.png

6. rknarr2

The dark areas might be reflection because they don't have tarnish. I will have to retake that pic to try to show that they are not tarnished. I would think the same silver plated but the tarnish does not exist on the corn cob holders.

7. rknarr2

Yes pitting like chrome on my drum rims not tarnish like silver plating. Did chrome exist in the 1950s or 1940s? I wonder if could be nickel over metal. rknarr2

8. rknarr2

They are reflecting my background mattress pad that I have put styrofoam in to stand the background mattress pad. There is a few spots of pitting.

9. clutteredcloset49

rknarr2 and quirkygirl like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

You sure make a lot of mistakes:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:;)

11. clutteredcloset49

BTW - I'm not saying your corncob holders are by Krome Kraft. Only answering your question whether chrome was used for serving/kitchen items

quirkygirl likes this.
  12. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

It might even be safest (and easiest) to call them "silvertone" instead of trying to identify what the metal is.

13. clutteredcloset49

I agree.

14. flipper

I just did not see the SIGNIFICANT lack of resemblance until I looked back at the link the second time. I must have confused something (actually, not the first time)or, made a mistake.
    I never even got to the metal. @rknarr2 knows what's up.

rknarr2 likes this.
  15. flipper

You must have made a mistake, yourself. I never inquired or stated anything about the potential manufacturer or mention chrome as the metal.

16. clutteredcloset49

Well there you have gone and done it again. Made another mistake.
    I was answering rknarr's question and came back to clarify that his were not by Krome Kraft.

17. flipper

Well, you must be right! People say you know what you are talking about.
    Thank you for sharing your wisdom and insight.

18. clutteredcloset49

Oh Goodness Gracious, I must say, Bless Your Itty Bitty Lil' Heart for your highfalutin' praise of me.
    (She said with as much sugar as she could muster.)

19. rknarr2

I knew you weren't saying Krome Kraft made those corncob holders just giving me an example of a company that used chrome back then. Thank you. Rob

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  20. rknarr2

I think I will use silvertone in my listing instead of chrome or nickel plated. Thank you. Rob

clutteredcloset49 likes this.