Featured Corner Chair identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Masuwa12, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Masuwa12

Masuwa12 New Member

Good morning,

i hope you can help me with a corner chair I recently started working on. It looks to me like a Sheraton revival, Edwardian corner chair. However, it is quite ornate and also splays out in the back, which is a bit awkward if you want to put it in a corner. It is quite petite, which also made me think ladies parlour chair? It seems to be walnut with inlays. Thank you.

D24356A3-8881-4FD7-9ECB-FA0554D1C94F.jpeg 05324EB1-B763-4B66-9BFD-B2D07D83C677.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think you hit the nail on the head with your id. If I recall correctly,the average height of people was significantly shorter when the chair was made,so it makes sense it was more petite.Lovely piece.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Really think you have this figured out. Would lean to this being English but could also be American.

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How pretty that will be with the right upholstery.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Thirded on Edwardian and might well be one of ours.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Masuwa12

Masuwa12 New Member

Thank you, appreciate it. I haven’t decided on the upholstery yet, any recommendations Debora? Will probably finish the seat today and start on the back next week.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Lovely.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Over here, it would have been a pastel embossed brocade type of fabric, single hue. Peppermint green or Wedgwood blue for example.

BoudiccaJones and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not a fabric expert so unable to give you an informed opinion re upholstery. If it were mine, I'd consider 1) fabric weight & wear, 2) color scheme of room where it will sit, 3) fabrics appropriate/true to period. Because it's such a dainty chair, you certainly don't want anything that will overwhelm it like an overscale print or colors that overwhelm the wood tone. I'd avoid local fabric stores and look for a source that sells "the the trade" remnants or buy yardage on eBay, etc. And I'd do some research to see what type of passementerie is appropriate for period. I would avoid Regency stripes and brocades as I think they're cliches. And do think an overall print would be more unifying for the horizontal back and vertical seat than a stripe. Here's an example of an upholstery that I think doesn't work. Doesn't work with the playfulness of the chair, back comes across as too mingy and that thrusting stripe on seat is a bit rude. Anyway... just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Debora

thumb_227512_default_big.jpg

10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

That pattern completely overwhelms the wood.

Draft saved Draft deleted