Featured Corningware 6 pieces for $60,000.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ulilwitch, Jan 10, 2020.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

corningware.jpg Does anyone know what is going on with corningware? This listing has 6 casserole dishes. I live in NY State and corningware at an estate or yard sale is as common as breathing. Some of these pieces are extremely high and I just don't know why. Same patterns with different prices of thousands of dollars. Anything people should be looking for? I understand it has to do with when the pattern came out and how long the run was but this is insane.

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

It seems the vendor is wildly optimistic. Same pattern sets with up to 23 pieces, including lids have recently sold in the $115. - $150. range.
    There are a LOT of "watchers" on this listing, no doubt buffing up their own sets, with their hearts palpitating with high hopes.

3. ulilwitch

Thanks, I just didn't get it. Thought maybe there was something I was missing.

FlowingHair, antidiem and Sandra like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have a cabinet full of this pattern & use the pieces every day. :):)

However if this pattern ever becomes that popular it will definitely be out the door without so much as a backward glance. :p:p ;) :D:D :hilarious::hilarious:

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I once demonstrated the un-breakeability of Corning ware to a friend, telling her why my wife and I got rid of our dinnerplates because their effectiveness in an argument was useless. They just wouldn't smash, no matter which wall we threw them at.
    Standing there, in the store, I picked up a plate from the display and dropped it onto the carpeted floor. Guess what? It shattered into about a zillion tiny bits!:arghh::wacky::oops:

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Since Corning no longer makes Corningware and it was sold to a Chinese company. I find a lot of the "new" Corningware just shatters. Thank goodness the heat shields are still made by Corning or are they?????
    greg

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They cannot be serious!! :eek: I saw a medium sized one with glass lid in this pattern in a thrift last week - maybe 5 - 10 dollars? I buy smaller ones occasionally for use in the microwave. I donated a whole bunch of 60s-70s piece in the white with blue decor back in 2005 when I was moving here. I thought I had enough microwave safe things already. I was mistaken. :hilarious:

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yah I still use mine on a rare occasion, but there is a warning site for lead content in corning ware. :(

9. Bakersgma

Lead content? What? Where?

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

If mine has lead content in them we are all going to die soon from lead poisoning because just about every dinner we cook around here there is at least one, but usually more, of them on the table. I have been using some of these pieces for at least 25+ years. I also use them to warm leftovers that I eat for lunch because I don't like using plastic in the microwave no matter what they say.

11. Bakersgma

Seems it's only in the paint on the outside of "some." When was the last time you cooked food on the outside of a casserole dish?

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Folks can price stuff at whatever they please.....:yawn:

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I only use my Corning ware to bake blackberry crumble

14. ulilwitch

Yours and mine both. I have so many like my Mom's, my sister's and my own. My sister lived in Corning I keep about four in my cupboard.
    You and me both.

15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

We use our white Corningware daily, every meal. We bought it all at household auctions in the early '80s, dirt cheap. The inherited Spode Beverly doesn't even get out at Christmas any more. Any lead in the glass is going to stay trapped there.

16. ulilwitch

My dinnerware is also solid white. I do love it.

17. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Sounds like they were decimal challenged.

kyratango, ulilwitch, judy and 4 others like this.
  18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The seller has gone wild thinking what they have is worth that amount. He or she is in the same boat as the seller who has the Fire King Mug with Snoopy on it for $900 dollars when the rest on eboo are way less than $50.

Corning ware does have a following. Peeps like the blue cornflower pattern. There seems to be an influx of buyers now that want to have what their mothers had in the kitchen... corningware,pyrex, cookbooks, Many of my cookbook buyers expressed to me that that the cookbooks they purchased were ones that their mothers had when they grew up and now they want them. There is hope in the world.

In general, I only buy corningware that is NOS and in the box.

But I think that seller dipped into the cooking sherry heavily.

ulilwitch, judy and FlowingHair like this.
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

We have many pieces in this pattern and use it daily. Our basic set was purchased new in the early 80s. Not rare at all and not worth much. I have picked up additional pieces to add to my set for under $5.00. Have a lot more than what they show in their listing. Maybe my set is worth $100K?

Draft saved Draft deleted