Featured CORRECTED - Charcoal drawing of bulls stampeding? Signature help.

Discussion in 'Art' started by aaroncab, Sep 16, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Not sure if this is a litho or an original ink on paper. It was in a pretty dirty old frame (probably 1940's-50's-ish) Took it out of the frame to get it out of the dirt... Signed lower right - Corna? Corea? Something else? 13"x 10"

~
    36440816563_aa1957c52d_k.jpg
    37254284745_cbe639145f_kdev.jpg 37254289895_998bfa9198_kdev.jpg 37254295295_58378ffb9a_kdev.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Corma? Cormer? Corua?

judy, Ghopper1924 and aaroncab like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a charcoal drawing....

judy, Ghopper1924 and aaroncab like this.
  4. aaroncab

It was so deep black I thought it was ink - but you're right - it's charcoal. Used a very slightly moistened q-tip to test. I'm correcting the title of the thread to read charcoal.

komokwa, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Corrida means bullfight, but I'm only seeing one R. Corea is a surname and a Spanish place name

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They DO look like they're gathered around someone/something in a circle, to me.... haven't found the artist yet....

aaroncab likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Corna? Means horn in several languages, bulls have horns, other than that it doesn't make sense.
    Very nice drawing though.

aaroncab likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think we're on the horns...of a dilemma !! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Factor

Factor New Member

I think I see indentions around the piece/plate marks, which would not be there on a drawing of any kind, charcoal or ink. It would indicate an etching or engraving usually. If not, a lithograph, in this case. Use a magnifying glass and look for dots; if you find an organized grid, it is an offset lithograph. If you find a random group of dots/specks, it is the more valuable stone lithograph. Other options may be possible but I see these as the most logical here. (Museum ex-curator; art researcher/archivist now)

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. aaroncab

Thanks Factor! I've looked at it under 15x mag - definitely no dots of any kind. I think what appears to be a plate mark in the pictures is where the paper is attached to a backing board. I don't think there is any plate mark/indentation on the actual paper. Here's a close up of the edge of the paper where it meets the backing board. THere is a dark line near the edge of the paper where the mat that was on the front of the paper sat when it was in the frame, but I think that is basically discoloration from acid in the mat and/or paper.

~

36449999603_60ce44ac9a_k.jpg

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted