Costume Jewellery - Help needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Snipsa, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Snipsa

Snipsa Active Member

Recently acquired a number of costume jewellery pieces that I'm considering selling, as I'm not really the jewellery wearing type.

Is there anything in here that could fetch above regular price, or should I just throw them all into an auction and see what someone will be willing to pay?

The person I bought it from said the stones in the "silver" jewellery are marcasite and that the yellow clip on earrings could possibly be bakelite, but I am not sure about these claims. The ones that I find the most interesting are the first pair of screw on earrings. They are almost translucent and an almost soft kind of material. Reminds me slightly of celluloid, but again, don't think that's actually the material that was used. 20141204_073908[1].jpg 20141204_075131[1].jpg 20141204_075522[1].jpg 20141204_075244[1].jpg 20141204_074941[1].jpg 20141204_075438[1].jpg 20141204_074752[1].jpg 20141204_073306[1].jpg

2. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Nothing here is really jumping out to me as very special. However, take a look at the back of the bottom bracelet for a mark. It looks like it may be a MIRACLE piece and that jewelry is collectible.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes the swirl earings are marcasite

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the round earrings could be moonstones....??

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree with Calico, nothing jumping out at me for much resale except the bracelet possibly. As suggested check for any maker's mark on that one. If no mark, take a close-up photo of the piece (both sides) just zero in on a link or two so we can really see details. The extender is a bit unusual for a bracelet, I'm guessing this is older, but would like to see a close up to be sure.

6. Snipsa

Snipsa Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. That's about what I expected. I can't remember seeing any marks on the bracelet but will check when I'm home and take some more pics of the bracelet.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The first pair look like soap bubble earrings - coated plastic. Not valuable but not junk either. The second set are Edelweis, aka someone's souvenir from a trip to the Alps. They may be ivory or bone. They could also be from a Sound of Music freak. Check the backs well on the rest for maker's marks. One manufacturer, Krementz, hides theirs on pin stems, so check those too. I've gotten more than one 14k oopsie that way!

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. Snipsa

Snipsa Active Member

Thank you so much for the help, evelyn! I rechecked everything and it turns out the soap bubble earrings have sterling screw backs. Unfortunately not seeing any other marks, also nothing on the bracelet. But you guys gave me great advise for future reference!

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

When you photograph them for sale, put them on a plain cloth backing and not your hand.

komokwa likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't help with the jewelry. If sales are an indication, my judgement is deplorable. So... to take the thread totally off topic, those first earrings made me think of honeypot ants:

[​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

If possible, photograph outside with natural light but not direct sun light. The flash is washing out some detail.

12. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Moreotherstuff, thank you so much for posting about the resemblance to "honeypot ants." I was not familiar with those particular ants.

This forum is made up of such interesting people with knowledge they share in so many diverse areas. I learn something new each time I read a thread in any category. :happy:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I sold on Ebay for years and the first thing I had to learn was how to take good photos. Your items will sell much better if the photos are precise and clear.

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm looking at those first earrings and remembering a necklace someone posted on the Ebay jewelry board. It turned out to be very rare. Do some more research on those. I don't think they're moonstones. There's another name. If Marie comes around, she'll know. Don't sell them until you check.

15. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Bev, are you thinking of Pools Of Light?

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My thought, too.

17. evelyb30

Pools of light are round pieces of rock crystal, held in a band setting with chain link in between. The earrings are lucite with a paint coating. I have a matching necklace and bracelet sitting here. I want a PoL necklace, but they go for highway robbery prices when you happen on one. The necklace went up on Ebay and went begging.

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Yes, Pools of Light. Hard to tell from the photo. I think that necklace is the one I remember.

19. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

According to the following website, a good way to tell true "Pools of Light," rock crystal quartz, is to place the orb on top of a newspaper. "Real Quartz will make the type appear up side down. Glass fails miserably as well as drilled quartz .. The Real thing is not drilled and not glass."

[​IMG]

http://thevintagevillage.com/profiles/blogs/pools-of-light-jewelry-why-are

--- Susan

20. evelyb30

Glass will do that too if it's decent quality. The only real way to be sure is with a loupe.

Draft saved Draft deleted