Featured Costume Jewelry Clasp Question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 1, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I saw this costume jewelry necklace, and was intrigued by the clasp, which allowed the pin to be used as a pin or as part of a necklace. I was interested in finding out about this type of clasp in case it was attached to a necklace I might be interested in buying in the future. I would appreciate any comments.

IMG_2047.jpg IMG_2046.jpg IMG_2051.jpg

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've never seen that before. Wait to see what others have to say.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would guestimate the age to be about 1950s.

It's a copy of a design used by more expensive jewelers from earlier periods.
    Seems to me the Roadshow has occasionally shown pieces of this type. I'm sure there is a name that I can't think of at the moment.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I found similar calling it a cameo clasp, no idea if that’s the proper name.

5. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks. I like the concept - not this execution but if I see it on something better it would be earlier?

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Ah, so its associated with cameos perhaps. Thanks.

7. i need help

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing that before. Wouldn't there be a risk of the end of the pin sticking the person wearing it?

9. i need help

Maybe @Bronwen will know about it ? :)

10. KikoBlueEyes

Perhaps this is why you don't see many of them.

11. KikoBlueEyes

I wasn't able to come up with search terms to find any, so that is why I asked you all. Looks like as usual you performed your magic.

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not to my knowledge. As INH demonstrates, the brooch/clasp does not have to be a cameo.

Can't tell you how often I see miniatures & plain cabochons called cameos.

Agree. The cameo is post-WWII; type of hinge & safety clasp are mid-20th.

How about this one?

[​IMG]

upload_2019-5-1_13-27-42.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/293042450833

13. Bronwen

No greater danger of this than from a convertible pin/pendant that does not have a removable pin. You are not meant to wear the necklace with the clasp at the back of the neck.

14. KikoBlueEyes

Gulp. That is so stunning. Thanks for the information, So the term is convertible pin/pendant.

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You could also pin the clasp to your blouse or whatever to keep the necklace from sliding around. I found one without its necklace once - possibly the "pearls" got broken.

The fancy ones looks like a piece of Sajen, or if not it's a fellow traveler.

16. Bronwen

No, this will bury you in things you don't want. It's hard to differentiate in searches. I used 'convertible necklace brooch'. I can think of variations to use, e.g., substituting 'pin' for 'brooch'. You might want to use advanced search & put 'pendant' in the field for none of these words, as those are the ones you want to weed out.

17. KikoBlueEyes

That makes sense. I tried to look myself before asking and was flooded with pendants.

i need help, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I didn't have time to do much searching this morning.
    These are the types of convertible necklaces I had in mind. As I mentioned, high end expensive jewelers were doing these.
    Haven't found the proper name yet

Clasps aren't identical, but the idea is the same. What was used for the OPs cameo clasp would have been what was currently being used as clasps. The same would be true for earlier times. They would have been using what was a popular clasp at the time.

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/nec...rooch-convertible-into-necklace/id-j_4929383/

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/nec...ald-diamond-convertible-necklace/id-j_757822/
    Different type of clasp. (Just realized I cut the pin bar out of the picture. It's on the right, you can see the hinge.)

upload_2019-5-1_17-59-2.png

Attached Files:

19. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  20. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I have a very similar slide on a book chain necklace from the Victorian period.
    Patd

Draft saved Draft deleted