Costume Jewelry Repair Tools

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ladybub, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

Will someone comment /advise on the basic tools and proper glue to use to clean and repair vintage rhinestone jewelry.

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This restore and repair costume jewellery Facebook group has comprehensive instructions and so much information in their units. Well worth reading though them all :). Click on Files at the top.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/436623289881629

kyratango, Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Needle nosed pliers for a start. Paperclips, msaking tape, acetone.

5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Make sure the pliers DO NOT have teeth!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hypocement, which is not cement but a very thin glue with an equally thin hollow application needle. Perfect for gluing tiny rhinestones.

A sticky bead mat. If you use that as your work mat your 'stones' and beads won't roll all over the place. The sticky stuff won't leave a residue on your stones, it just holds them in place.

A sticky stylus (forgot the correct term). You stick the stone on the end to glue it into a mount. That way you make sure it won't end up upside down in the mount. Again, the sticky stuff won't leave a residue.

I also use a simple ruler as a barrier, to keep small stuff from falling off my desk. Cheap and cheerful.;)

I still have no solution for my butterfingers, which will send any jewellery part flying into orbit, never to be found again. I am a great contributor to space debris.

Oh, and kyratango of course.:playful:

My launched jewellery components:
    [​IMG]

Hamburger, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I use a little metal rod with an indent which I've had for years to set stones sometimes. It comes with a wax pad. Tweezers are very handy, so are matchsticks if you can't get a setting rod.

Good light.

kyratango, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

Thank you -- that is the kind of info I need. I am not looking to make jewelry but I have quite a few collected and acquired pieces that are in need of repair and I am terrified of improperly cleaning or glueing and ruining something. That sticky stylus is something I read about sometime ago but have not been able to find anything like it in my online searches. If I can get past proper cleaning and glueing I can get going. (I "washed' a rhinestone brooch years ago and the rhinestones fell out!). Now I know what to look for, but I am afraid to jump in to maintenance and repair.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Start with a cheap piece, one that you don't mind messing up. Maybe a broken piece that is beyond proper repair, but which you can practice gluing etc on. As you get more experience, you will become more confident.
    Good luck!

kyratango, judy and komokwa like this.
  11. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

How do you use the acetone?

12. Ownedbybear

You can use acetone to soak off and harvest rhinestones and also to remove old glue.

Fid, kyratango, judy and 1 other person like this.
  13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Agree with all that was said above:)
    Just add I never use glue directly from the container... Even hypocement:facepalm:
    I pour tiny amount of glue on a piece of tin foil, pic some with a sharp wooden toothpick to apply precisely only on needed area!
    Some assortment of rhinestones are mandatory too:joyful:

Fid likes this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Buy the GS Hypo cement from a good retailer as there is fake stuff out there. It must have a serial number stamped on the crimp.

Ladybub likes this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm still a supporter of the deep freeze. allows you to look if there's enough beer around in the fridge at the same time...

kyratango and KSW like this.
  16. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

For the sticky stylus, search rhinestone pen, jewel picker, wax picker pen.

Ladybub and kyratango like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Matchsticks can work as picker uppers, too.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted