Could anyone tell me anything about this lamp?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tippi, Jul 12, 2021.

1. tippi

tippi Member

PXL_20210713_011046658.jpg PXL_20210713_011111563.jpg PXL_20210713_011121328.jpg PXL_20210713_011141577.jpg I love this lamp but I've always wondered more about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hi, Tippi! You'll want to make sure to post all your photographs as Full Image so they're easier for everyone to see. (Not to worry. Happens with all new members.) As to you lamp, it appears to be from the 1960s and features the reproduction of an antique map of -- from what I can see -- Naples from the sea. This one is from 1705; yours may be signed or have other distinguishing information that will help you identify creator.

Debora

Old_Map_of_Napoli_Naples_1705_fine_reproduction_massive.jpg

Potteryplease likes this.
  3. tippi

tippi Member

Thanks for the picture tip! That map does look very similar. I had another look all around the lamp but I can't find any other distinguishing information that isn't on the map. Do you think it would be worth anything?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The map doesn't have the name of the publisher anywhere? Well, let's see... You should be able to date the original map by the crests in the left hand corner or by the flag on the Castel Sant'Elmo. (Are the stripes blue, yellow and red?) As to value, I'd think it was minimal.

Debora

tippi likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You don't think that the image of the map was simply used to create the shade (in many multiples?)

tippi and Fid like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the shade and the map don't give you any hint to the age of the lamp.
    they were in fashion time and again in the 1960s onwards.
    the only help could be the spelling of Napoli in the upper right corner .

tippi likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree reproduction of old map. No value as antique in and of itself.

Debora

tippi, pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  8. tippi

tippi Member

Thanks for the info Debora. Now I won't be tempted to sell and can keep admiring for just what it is

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's fun. Glad you enjoy.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted