Featured Could this be 18th century low boy

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bobsyouruncle, Oct 17, 2017.

1. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Appreciate any information you may offer. I purchased this many, many years ago at a country auction and have moved it from place to place and have never really figured out what it is. I doubt that it has value. It is in quite horrible condition. I do have the thick veneer that is missing from the front.
    I hope the pictures image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg e good enough to see the variation where different legs attach to the body. This piece has always confused me...I loved the look and feel but appears to be crudely done. Should I attempt to do work on it or.... Thanks again.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or...do nothing until everyone has had a chance to comment !!
    :happy::happy::happy:

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Interesting-looking piece, despite its condition.

Calling Mr. Conrad! :)

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like a 2 board top. Would think 19th century.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a Queen Anne low-boy or dressing table form but agrees with Brad & others, not period. You could restore it sure but, it most likely will cost more to do that than piece is worth as it's in pretty rough condition. Collectors can get away with doing that so if you like it, restore away!
    On the last pic, those are called "knee returns" and are always a separate piece of wood that attach to the legs/case, often missing on period pieces.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  7. bobsyouruncle

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help. lol may continue to keep it with me and do nothing but now I have more information!

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

No problem! hope it helped, Queen Anne was a smash hit in it's day (1730-1760 in america) and remains popular to this day. There are those who say Chippendale, which followed the QA style period, is nothing more than QA with rococo carving slathered on. I wouldn't go that far but, there is no doubt that with QA, it's ALL about the legs.

Christmasjoy and bobsyouruncle like this.
  9. Aquitaine

So how did I mess up James with John C ???? Oi Veigh!!!!! Sorry!!!!:sorry::sorry:

10. James Conrad

LOL, yeah, i was wondering about that! Thought maybe a long lost relative had been found or something!

11. Aquitaine

But there IS a John C Conrad on the site!!!!! Not sure he's in to furniture tho, now that I check around..........

12. James Conrad

hmmmmm, i didn't know that, maybe i should change my handle?
    I just checked, i don't think i can change handle.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a 19th century lowboy missing the top. Someone stuck an oak dining room table leaf on it. If you don't want that one, I'm interested. Provided you aren't on the other side of the pond. Your name sounds like you might be.

14. James Conrad

Yeah, that's what i am talkin about, get a lil biz goin here!

15. James Conrad

Generally speaking with 18th century period pieces, these were the first "bedroom suites" back in the day. There was a tall chest of drawers (highboy) and a dressing table (lowboy) that matched each other. Very few of these suites survive today that are intact with both pieces, over the years they usually got split up.

16. bobsyouruncle

Sorry....Huntsville Ontario Canada..wish we didn't have borders!

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The leaves must be nice right about now !!!

18. James Conrad

Close enough! I think Bev is in Mass?

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yep, Beverly, Mass.

20. bobsyouruncle

The leaves were at their peak just a couple of weeks ago. We still have colour but most of it appears to be cluttering our yard!!
    Must admit ...yesterday the temp was warm and the wind was blowing leaves noisily all about.. It was quite wonderful

Draft saved Draft deleted