Featured Could this be Amber

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by daveydempsey, Oct 1, 2017.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

This is a Trench Art copy of a South African WWI army badge featuring a Springbok that has been turned into a sweetheart brooch.
    The language is in English and Dutch Afrikaans.

Another piece of sterling silver hallmark dated from 1896 has been attached to the back to hold in place what I thought at first was celluloid but now after shining a UV light through it I think may be Amber.

This is the brooch.

033.JPG

032.JPG

034.JPG

This is an official infantry badge.

CAP_BADGE_1ST_SA_INFANTRY_BRIGADE.jpg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks like tortoise

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Tortoise was what I was thinking too.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I concur with the tortoiseshell.
    greg

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe horn......I mean, look what's on the front !

Joshua Brown, judy and kyratango like this.
  6. daveydempsey

Good thinking Terry.
    The commonwealth SA Troops were fighting the Hun in German East Africa where I suppose Tortoises were abundant.

7. komokwa

the critter is a Springbok......I still vote horn.....

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like horn to me too.

9. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They are both keratin, as is baleen, and only a larger piece or DNA test would positively identify which it is. But I don't think it's tree sap.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I also think it is horn. When you hold tortoiseshell up to the light, you can see the patterns are layered and complex.
    Both can darken with age. A bit of oil can bring out the colour and prevent further cracking.

The 'eendracht maakt macht' text is Netherlands Dutch. The literal translation in Afrikaans would be 'eendrag maak mag', but I believe they generally use the term 'eenheid maak krag'. Using the original Dutch term in this case is probably a legacy of VOC rule.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  11. daveydempsey

Afrikaans is a daughter language of Dutch and—unlike Netherlands Dutch, Belgian Dutch and Surinamese Dutch—a separate standard language rather than a national variety.
    Afrikaans has adopted words from other languages, including Portuguese, the Bantu languages, Malay, German.
    Similar legends were struck on SA Kruger coinage.

s-l400.jpg

all_fakes and Joshua Brown like this.
  12. daveydempsey

The Springbok is the national animal of South Africa, it doesn`t mean the item is made from horn.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Yes, you're right.
    To us Dutch, Afrikaans sounds very simplified, I think you can see that in the difference between the Afrikaans motto and the Dutch motto. The shilling shows a transitional Afrikaans, it still has the end t's on eendragt maakt magt.
    We can understand each other, and although we do not have a language union with Afrikaans, Afrikaander poetry is read here as well.

Interesting that you make the distinction of Surinam Dutch. To us that is 'proper' Dutch, often spoken very beautifully. The only difference is the accent, there is no dialect like in Dutch and Belgian regions.
    The official language of Surinam (government, etc) is Dutch, but Sranan Tongo, a creole language, is the pre-dominant first language. There are other languages as well.
    Many Sranan words are now part of Dutch street language, just like Moroccan Berber words.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  14. daveydempsey

I don`t know if I have mentioned this before but in the north of England around the Newcastle area they speak with an accent called Geordie.
    My Dads from up there.

When they say "Brown Cow" it sounds exactly like the Dutch "Bruine Koe" :D:D

15. Any Jewelry

The same with Scots from the Scottish Lowlands, across the border from Northumberland.
    Frisian, a Dutch related language in the north of The Netherlands, has a lot of words that sound English.
    To us in the south of The Netherlands, Hollands often sounds a bit like English. For instance, they have an r which sounds vaguely like the English r, whereas ours sounds more like the French r. Hollands is spoken in two provinces on the west coast.

Joshua Brown, judy and daveydempsey like this.
  16. komokwa

You're right......but I've got one of these on my wall.....& have handled tortoise shell for over 40 years.......& it doesn't look like that to me. !

upload_2017-10-2_11-30-56.jpeg

judy likes this.
  17. daveydempsey

I suppose these are made from Maple Syrup, I mean look what`s on the front ! :rolleyes::D:D:D

maple.jpg

18. komokwa

Have you tried licking them ????
    Numy num num num !!!!! :playful::playful::playful::hungry::hungry::hungry:

judy likes this.
  19. komokwa

upload_2017-10-2_13-34-44.jpeg

and what about these............made from turtles ???????

upload_2017-10-2_13-35-6.jpeg

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy, Any Jewelry and daveydempsey like this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    These are proper turtles.

The manufacture was fueled by maple syrup and poutine!

Draft saved Draft deleted