Could you help with identifying this stone pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

Black stone back.JPG This piece is terribly dirty and I want to clean it up. But before I do anything, I want to identify the stone. It tests way beyond the glass range but does not match any of the colors in the categories the gem tester shows. My best guess after much research is that it is polished marble. Could that be it? Also, where is it from or what style do you think it is? It looks like the stone was set by hand because the setting is uneven. The trim around the setting gives me thefeeling of Middle Eastern origin. It seems too heavy for the fine chain but at the same time the chain looks original. It is 2" wide and 2 1/2" long. The connector between the chain and the jump ring looks like (under a loupe) T O S A, if that's any help. Thank you for any opinions or suggestions

Black stone resize.JPG
    Black stone side.JPG Black stone side.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Could well be some form of agate that hasn't had a high polished finish. If you are talking about a Presidium meter agate can test anywhere from glass to the high end of quartz depending on composition.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hand set and hand cast metal, including the trim around the setting itself.
    I'm sorry I cannot help with the stone.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Lizzie

CeBCA, Yes, Presidium II. It tests in the far end of the quartz, amethyst, citrine group and at the edge of the jadeite. I thought it might be agate but it seemed like the agates had more even striations while in this stone the white is not evenly defined. Can agate have the muddled appearance? Initially I did think agate but then I thought I was wrong.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is called cannetille, and is found in many parts of the world. In Dutch there is even a colloquial word which is used more than cannetille, it is 'spinnetjes', 'little spiders'.;)
    Those tubes at the back mean it didn't start life on a delicate chain. Could you take a photo of the back, straight on?

6. Any Jewelry

Yes it can.:)

Figtree3, Ce BCA and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, the banded and brighter pieces are more commonly used as they are more aesthetically pleasing. Agate comes in many colours including muddy grey and very unappealing forms.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Here is the back Any Jewelry. It doesn't really have red highlights, that's just from a quick photo at my desk. Back 2.JPG

Figtree3, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Thank you. I must confess, it is a mystery to me.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The diameter of the tubes, and the 'U' form of the 3 of them, suggest that a cord rather than a chain was the original suspensor. The tube across the bottom would prevent the cord from being excessively worn by the bottom edges of the verticals...it seems to me.

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Lizzie

That makes sense.

So, to recap the wonderful information so far, probably artisian made from somewhere, with cannetille surrounding an agate with a chain that is a replacement.

Me too Any Jewelry.

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Lizzie

My thanks to all of you for taking a look and for your helpful information. I don't know what I would do without you.

Now I will go clean this baby up.

Draft saved Draft deleted