Featured Could you please share info on this Imazighen(?) dagger

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Robert Walker, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

Hi all,

I while back I bought some some Imazighen jewelry and other items. (From the estate of an avid collector of African art in Belgium)
    Size total: 46cm
    Weight: 466gr

I have tried a couple of times to find info on this ‘dagger’. Tried, and failed. All info offered, would be much appreciated. (Like, poss age, country- etc.) Thank you in advance. All the best, take care.

933EC4C8-5B32-4B5F-9885-50DC590A1D3F.jpeg BF229A99-3B70-4214-9CE5-672E32E13040.jpeg 84F4A6DE-3CF8-47B4-A04D-52FE988FDD02.jpeg BE9982C2-5D65-4759-9CBD-B4FA436DEC74.jpeg 6EEB77C9-1697-440E-ADF4-E4D0D0D85FFA.jpeg CC8A0793-94F9-4057-8F22-7AFE45D31E7A.jpeg ED2E2D75-9AC1-43F7-9A6E-1FA89B163AB5.jpeg

judy, i need help, Boland and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Robert. My slightly educated guess is Tuareg, a branch of the Imazighen.
    The beautiful woven and stamped leatherwork and the tassel fringe look Tuareg, as does the shape of the blade.
    The crosspiece of the hilt could be a variation on Tuareg sword hilts I've seen.

Probably not very old, 40 yrs, maybe a bit more. Tuareg leather ages very quickly. Assuming it is Tuareg, that is.;)
    Country? Well they are mostly nomadic. There are regional differences though. If I were to guess I would say Mauritania or thereabouts.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yes, North African at least, and probably Tuareg. @komokwa will have more to say.

4. Any Jewelry

Even if it has no great age, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.:)

5. Any Jewelry

I just checked, Tuareg woven leather and reed mats are from Mauritania. The designs are similar to the ones on the sheath and hilt of your dagger.

judy, i need help, Boland and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nope...he won't !
    You guys pretty much covered it !!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll just add that it's hard to pin these down with so many variations....

7. Robert Walker

Thank you all, so much!:) @Any Jewelry I always think I’m quite good at using google. When I read that you searched for ‘woven leatherand reed mats’, I thought: why didn’t I think of this?! (Because you more knowledge is the answer, haha.) @komokwa I always enjoy seeing items from your collection!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I also have quite a few Tuareg items, that helps.;)

komokwa likes this.
  9. Robert Walker

Here are a couple of quick pics of other items I bought, when I bought the dagger. My friends couldn’t care less. Haha. So, I don’t often get to show them:)

komokwa likes this.
  10. Robert Walker

11. Robert Walker

I bought this Saoedi Bukhoor/Incense burner the other day. (Advertised in the pictures upside down as middle eastern ‘pedestal’. It’s just under 30cm / 780gr. After some research, I think it might be 19th century. What do you all think?:)

12. Robert Walker

13. Any Jewelry

The necklace with the rectangular pendant is Indian made, these are also sold in the Middle East as souvenirs. It is a base silvertone metal.
    The crescent shaped one could be a bit better, but I see the same agate pebbles, so.... probably just pretty.:sorry:
    Did you forget the photos, Robert?
    Of course.:joyful:

14. Any Jewelry

I'd agree. Nice find.

komokwa likes this.
  15. Robert Walker

Sorry, next door neighbor walked in. Got distracted. In relation to your comments on the jewelry. I have to agree. I also saw later, researching online: India. The are also offered as Imazighen. (But, I believe your right!:)

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Forgot the powder flask, it looks Moroccan to me.

komokwa likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Definitely not Imazighen. Sellers, eh?:rolleyes::D

18. Robert Walker

I thought so also! I love it. I found a similar one only. In the info it said it was from the (later part of) the nineteenth century. What do you think?:)

komokwa likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I think 20th century.
    Could I see a close up of the stones?

komokwa likes this.
  20. Robert Walker

I know. But in all honesty -I bought a bunch of stuff- I in first instance also thought so. Maybe, also ‘caus it was mixed with items that were Imazighen. You live, you learn…:)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted