Featured Couple different WW2 pieces

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by prestoncohunter, Jun 10, 2019.

1. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

I do realize that WW2 militaria isn't antique but......

Anyway hope you don't mind here are a few more pieces we found at my FIL's. I do wish we knew which pieces where his and which were from in brothers and inlaws. These are going to be a few random pieces.

First something from the home front, B&O railroad instructions for black out and air raid.
    [​IMG]

A box of Motion Sickness pills, box slightly squashed but pills still intact.
    [​IMG]

This piece we know was my FILs, a daily devotion book
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a very morbid piece that drives home the cost of war. A cadaver needle (used just for what it sounds like closing large wounds) and a sacking hook used to sew body bags closed.
    [​IMG]

And on a lighter note a pair of wool (ouch) swimming trunks. Slightly moth eaten. My FIL was very proud of being a SeaBee and put the patch on about anything he could get away with.
    [​IMG]

A very damaged photo of my FIL ready to shop home.
    [​IMG]
    The same suitcase 75 years later.
    [​IMG]

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

:) Thank you for sharing!

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So interesting.

Debora

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Neat! I think the needles were designed for upholstery rather than anything morbid. That wouldn't preclude their use for other purposes. I have all but identical ones floating around somewhere.

If you were to sell that B&O piece it might well go through the roof. Collectors still pay money for unusual railroad-related items.

6. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

@evelyb30 you are correct on the sacking hook, they were used for sails, feed bags and upholstery. The needle however is marked USN MD and has been positively identified by a RN as a cadaver needle. Both pieces where stored together with the uncle who was a medic's things. So that is where I was making the assumption.

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sounds conclusive.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted