Featured Couple of hyacinth/forcing vases - new?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Oct 29, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I don't suspect these are particularly old or special - just trying to find out if they are mass produced chinese or perhaps a bit better from somewhere else.

Vase 1 is about 6" high and about 3 1/2" across at the widest.

Vase 2 is about 7" high and about 5" across at the widest.

Interestingly, both have ribbing on the inside, while the outsides are smooth.

Thanks for any input!

~

Vase 1:

37963730582_cf954c701e_k.jpg 37940784216_6b83988792_k.jpg 37993798201_f9d1ddfb79_k.jpg

Vase 2:

37963772442_96398658ae_k.jpg 37963778092_94a933bea3_k.jpg 37963787992_ca76116075_k.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Maybe take a look at Pilgrim glass.

3. aaroncab

Thanks Brad! After you mentioned it - I did a search and found several Pilgrim cranberry vases with similar(to vase 2) color/form(more or less)/ribbing/base for sale on etsy/rublylane etc... I think you're probably onto something there.

4. aaroncab

There's a very similar one listed on replacements - but about an inch shorter than mine - mine has an extra "tier" on the base - but other than that they look pretty much the same. I think Pilgrim is a pretty solid bet for vase 2. Thanks again Brad!

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/pigcra_s2.htm

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Check out the completed on ebay. I have sold a few myself and only one had some pretty good age.Yours are a great color.

aaroncab likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The ribbing on the inside is called an optic. It was done before the piece was blown to it s final shape, by blowing it into a mold which had ribs around the inner surface. When the piece was blown into the final shape, the piece was flattened on the outside and the ribs moved to the inside.

all_fakes, judy and aaroncab like this.
  7. aaroncab

Thank you Cherryhill, I've seen the term optic on various descriptions/ titles of glass pieces and never quite grasped what it meant, so this is very helpful!

judy likes this.
  8. aaroncab

Thanks Judy, looks like there's a wide range of sold prices, but they do sell, so that's good!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Vase 1 looks designed to hold an amaryllis bulb.

upload_2017-10-31_14-10-45.jpeg

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted