Couple paintings I just got. Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by mdlock, Oct 27, 2020.

1. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

I was hoping it 20201027_193913_resize_33.jpg 20201027_193929_resize_86.jpg 20201027_193921_resize_44.jpg 20201027_193953_resize_31.jpg was oliver kemp.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That photographs with a really odd moiré pattern. There was an artist named Oliver Kemp; here's his signature for comparison. But I wonder if that's not a decorative painting. What does the back look like?

Debora

H0045-L104475770.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Take it out of the frame and take a clear pic of the signature. That first name doesnt look like Oliver to me,from what tiny bit you can see.

Aquitaine and smallaxe like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

May be a giclée. Something odd there.

Debora

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Suggest you take them out of the frames to see the signature and get better photographs, please take pictures of the back too. Debora is right, these may be giclee prints.

The strange thing I saw - there is green paint ON THE EDGE OF THE FRAME.

6. antidiem

It's not the same signature as what Debora found. Not it at all.

7. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

8. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think it's most likely decorative.

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  10. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NOW it looks like Cash Kemp........ @mdlock, Getting message "BAD ERROR" when clicking on your attempted posting of 2 images JUST above MY post here......Are the images too large?????

12. antidiem

It's not typical to what I call, "factory art", but as Debora mentioned, these were painted to be decorative. The signature does not match "Oliver" (although the pallet colors do!) and I cannot read more than "corn" into the one. They do look like actual oil paintings, and not giclee prints, by the way the paint has been so easily scuffed off of the surface, although even this is difficult to discern. I believe it was painted by a good amateur who didn't varnish the painting to protect it, after the paint dried.

Does your camera always cause something to moire in the pictures? I've never encountered such a distinctive pattern in photographs of paintings or other items before and wonder what could be going on to cause that? :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted