Featured Covered cheese dish: anything unique?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dawnno, May 3, 2019.

1. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

This is not my baliwick, so I'm punting.
    Covered cheese dish, so far I'm pretty certain:
    2019-05-03_08-14-40-PM.jpg
    No cheese inside... still with me? Cauz after that that's about where I get lost...
    2019-05-03_08-15-09-PM.jpg
    Marks are found on bottom, which appears to be a clover, shamrock or star of some kind. I enhanced the image with pencil lead to get it to stand out at all:
    2019-05-03_08-25-36-PM.jpg
    2019-05-03_08-24-38-PM.jpg
    same embossed mark inside cover, with additional handpainted numbers: 2019-05-03_08-34-20-PM.jpg 2019-05-03_08-26-28-PM.jpg

Designs on outside are gilded, but appear to be decals with handpainted dots 2019-05-03_08-27-09-PM.jpg 2019-05-03_08-27-32-PM.jpg 2019-05-03_08-28-02-PM.jpg

Country of origin? age? [there is crazing]. Is it worth any cheese?

Thank you.

2. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

design: is it thistles and peonies?

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

upload_2019-5-3_20-4-32.png that fits exactly. Winner there.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I like the colors and design.

Why do you think the design is based on decals? I'm not an expert in this and could be wrong, but based on the photos it looks to me like it could be hand-painted.

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

in the last leaf pic, you see the red-brown outline and in the inner 'hatched' areas of the same color ... seems like a decal... the rest might then be 'hand colored' and highlights added by hand... it appears to be handpainted in part, but the original outlines seem decals to me.

just a guess, btw. no idea about the mfrg methods.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Since decals are basically prints, as far as I know you'd usually see tiny dots when you look under a loupe. I don't know if there were ever decals used that didn't have dots.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I think you are right, decal with hand colouring details added. Looks in nice condition, usually when I find them they are heavily crazed with stains all over and/or the knob has been glued back on.
    sorry, I don't know the maker

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

CB08BE38-B16F-451E-8DD2-F007E2D0DCF0.jpeg This photo looks like something is written under the clover. Can you look with a loupe or maybe someone can photo enhance?

say_it_slowly and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

So older decals didn't show small dots from the printing process?

cxgirl likes this.
  11. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I double checked but that was just a residual graphite smudge. No other marks anywhere.

As far as the decal is concerned, the loupe showed only the lining as 'dotted' and even then, only in thicker areas of the lining... all the paint is 'hand laid' onto and over the lines... I went over all the different paint surfaces and none show evidence of printing. Basically a method of painting over the decals to speed up production... probably made quite a few of this style and mass produced that way.

Under the loupe, the mark is a shamrock: three lobes (heart shape) and a stem, even though one of them isn't pressed very clearly.

kyratango likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Pat, if you click the last photo it will enlarge, looking at the area with the hatched design it looks like dots there, or to me it does:)

Dawnno likes this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Interesting... I just read an article about the history of decals....
    http://ceramicdecals.org/History_of_Decals.html

I was thinking of decals in a narrower sense, as printed pieces of paper that are left on a surface, as opposed to something you use to transfer a design. Learned some new things tonight! :)

Dawnno and cxgirl like this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, I see what you mean. It's interesting that only the brown areas seem to have the dots... it looks a bit like stippling?

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

After reading the article, I can understand how older designs created with decals wouldn't show any dots at all since it's just used to transfer color. I imagine that's still true at least with some pieces?

Dawnno likes this.
  17. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think English, 1930s?, just a guess. The decal history was invaluable and exactly where I wanted to go with this (had no idea how old decals really were).

Pat P likes this.
  18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This is about the best I can do.
    upload_2019-5-3_23-20-46.png
    upload_2019-5-3_23-22-26.png

i need help and Dawnno like this.
  19. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

so, I'm off on some speculation: Irish porcelain, ca 1920's. The poppy is a common Irish wildflower, and in fact was used after WWI to commemorate the fallen soldiers, and thus became a popular motif. upload_2019-5-3_23-7-42.png
    The shamrock, well... obvious, and used in Irish porcelain hallmarks, including Wade, but also in German marks. the marks are so understated, it makes me think 'knock off' or 'imitation', but there are what I think are model numbers painted on the inside cover, so again, 'mass' produced product, without much intent to bring notoriety to the mark, but just 'coattail' off its Irishness. The handpainting and coloring strike me as Bavarian type porcelain with the vibrant lilacs and gilding:

upload_2019-5-3_23-20-58.png

So I'm satisified it's a survivor of something nothing special, so attribution is unnecessary: good enough, got most of the way.

20. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is English as well, but much earlier, mid to late 1800s.
    Not sure why you think Irish.
    The mark really isn't a shamrock.

@Ownedbybear

Darkwing Manor and Dawnno like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted