Cox and Co Trunk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Eveline, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Eveline

Eveline New Member

Hi I found this Trunk in an Australian Opp Shop and brought it. I was just wanting to know the history but google is not helping.

It says Patent No. Wiped Off
    Cox & Co
    Putney S.W.15

Does anyone have a clue of what I got? Is it historical? Is it old? Is it valuable?

KingofThings likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Eveline

Eveline New Member

Trying to upload photo

KingofThings likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

I might point out for our mainly American members, an Opp Shop (Opportunity Shop) is a shop, usually operated by a charity, to which new or used goods are donated, for sale at a low price in Australia & New Zealand.

5. Eveline

Eveline New Member

Thank you for clarifying that.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Eveline

Eveline New Member

7. Eveline

Eveline New Member

8. Eveline

Eveline New Member

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    You can load up to 10 photos on one post. :)

10. Eveline

Eveline New Member

I'm not that tech savvy

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Just keep loading them until you have 10...
    If you have more do a follow up post.

12. Eveline

Eveline New Member

They won't even let me load from my mobile. I need to send them to email and shrink the photos and ain't nobody got time for that lol.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Does anyone have a clue of what I got? Is it historical? Is it old? Is it valuable?

Explain to me why I should spend my time researching this for you ?:meh::yawn:

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Eveline

Eveline New Member

You don't have to spend your time researching for it for me of you don't want to. Obviously by your comment you feel like I'm wasting your time.

I posted it on here as I had zero clue what I purchased. As stated above it's from England but found in Australia. I had a beautiful person contact me with a tinny bit of information saying it's from the 1920s and worth 5 times what I purchased. So yes historical and valuable. But I posted on here for people who may have knowledge on this brand if they felt like sharing it as I love to know if many where made or how it came across half way around the world and donrated for free to a charity store.

15. daveydempsey

The problem is if you can`t be arsed to take full on photo`s, then crop and edit them, folks are not going to be to keen to help identify your items.
    It is better if you can obtain use of a PC rather than a phone.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  16. Eveline

Eveline New Member

Sadly don't own a PC. So phone is only option. That's why I did 3 photos different angles and all the information written on it.

17. Eveline

Eveline New Member

Found this bit of information online. Can't find much more.

Cox & Company, formerly, Cox of Watford was formed in the late 1920s by Roland William Cox.
    Cox, initially making car accessories under the vehicle manufacturer Rotax, pioneered early windscreen design and tubular automobile seating. On leaving Rotax and exposed to Thonet's tubular steel furniture of the 1930s Cox & Co was founded with a focus shifting to military vehicles and private commissions.
    Early notable orders included 5,000 chairs for Bobby's department store in Bournemouth, 2,500 tables for Dreamland, Margate and a series of pieces for the BBC's broadcasting House (1931-2) and flip-up seating for the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) in 1935.
    Government contracts to produce decoy tanks of tubular steel and canvas briefly put a pause to proceedings before momentum quickly returned post 1945. At one point it has been said there wasn't a village hall to be found in the country that lacked a stack of the classic "Cox-Chair".
    During its 1950s and 1960s hay-day Cox & Co returned entirely to the production of non-transport products, winning contracts to supply Heathrow and the Royal Festival Hall.
    With the company selling up in the 1980s the archive has been stored in sheds of the family farm for 30 years - receiving the occasional airing at family parties since then.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thought this could be a car trunk and that fits with the info above.

19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Two free phone apps that you can use to re-size photos are Image Size & Photo Shrinker......I have not used them, but both have 4 1/2 star ratings.........you need to be UNDER 1 megabyte for each picture.

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Eveline

Eveline New Member

That's a good thought except it's huge and hardly fit in my car

Draft saved Draft deleted