Cracked Amethyst

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lisa, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

I have this antique amethyst pendant. It once was a pin of my GGGrandmother's which was eventually turned into a pendant. The amethyst has cracked recently. It looks like it has cracked on the inside. I can't find any crack lines on the outside; but you can obviously see that it's cracked inside. I would like to know if the crack has completely devalued the piece. Before it was cracked I knew that it had some value because of the large beautiful amethyst. Now I'm wondering if it's basically worth it's weight in gold. Any ideas if my thinking is correct?

The piece is 14K gold, weighs about 16.68 grams. The whole piece measures about 2" x 1". The amethyst is about 20mm wide, 25mm long and 13mm deep. There are 15 various size diamonds covering the top part of the pendant. I'm not asking for a value on the piece; just wondering if a cracked amethyst like this is completely worthless :)

It's hard to picture the crack; so I've taken pictures in different light and angles.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If you want to keep it, amethysts are not that expensive. You could have it replaced. The value besides the family piece is not made up of the amethyst but on the gold and workmanship. You can love it the way it is or have it replaced. Not that I would if I was going to keep it but might considering replacement if it is for sale.
    greg

Lisa and KingofThings like this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Thank you gregsglass! :)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd worry more about the missing prong......
    Stones are a very special market......a large well cut " gem Quality " stone can be worth more than you'd expect.
    The diamonds....look all of 2 or 3 points each.....at that size they are not worth much .....and their quality and color and cut ....at that size......don't much matter.....but the whole piece together counts more than it's parts !

Lisa likes this.
  5. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Thanks Komokwa! I have the prong that fell off. I wouldn't wear it unless repaired. But truthfully, it's just too big of a piece for my liking; not a piece I would wear. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it; if I should keep it even though I won't wear it and let it sit in a jewelry box or just sell it. If I keep it I would be hoping an ancestor of mine might one day enjoy it ;-)

gregsglass and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a family heirloom......isn't it ?;)

Lisa likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd leave bad enough alone myself, other than having the prong fixed. If that stone is a Russian amethyst, I don't think it is but you never know, it's worth more than you'd think.

Lisa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted