Featured Crackle glass over gold balls on old brass lamp what are they called?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I found this lamp and it has two round orbs with crackle glass over gold tone foil, I guess. I really don't know what those are called and most that are similar are silver under the glass. It's really a neat effect and I am hoping someone can help me solve this and can help with the age and maybe maker and origin. The entire lamp top to bottom is around 31" and the glass balls are about 4.75" in diameter. There are no markings whatsoever besides Leviton on the socket and switch. Thanks in advance for any help or leads.

ball2.JPG bal1.JPG ball3.JPG ball4.JPG ball5.JPG ball6.JPG

LauraGarnet02, Boland and TallCakes like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I would suspect circa 1960s into 1970s.

You'd have a better chance of hitting the lottery than finding out who the maker was. May lead you back to a mass-production manufacturer, even if you could.

LauraGarnet02, Bakersgma and Boland like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    bercrystal, komokwa, KSW and 4 others like this.
  4. sabre123

Good find!

komokwa, LauraGarnet02 and Boland like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I would have guessed (wrongly then)a little earlier (like 1940’s -1950) But I have had enough of lamps for tonight..

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Cool looking lamp.Like it more than the one I posted :)

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The date range was figured on the plug I would think.

Boland and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. sabre123

Late 50s would not be out of the realm. The design has more of a 60s vibe to my eye.

Boland likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have thought early to mid 60s, but I'm no expert. One of these lamps turned up in the local ReStore a few months back. Took it a while to sell, oddly enough. I'd have thought it would have flown out the door. But no, everyone wants the new junk. And I do mean junk.

Boland likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1960s from the height.

Debora

11. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. The keyword I missed in my searching was “Italian.” Actually there is an identical pair “listed,” if you know what I mean. Asking $450, which seems optimistic. Mine came with a nice gold shade that really sets it off. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted