Featured Cranberry/red candle holder shades - where from/maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Dec 24, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Picked up a set of 4 (2 of them pictured) of these candle holders with red shades with a diamond optic pattern, the silverplate holders(very very well used but still in usable shape) are "international silver" also marked "marc stevens inc" and a "61" inside a square. The shades are 6 inches high. The bases are 5" high. Any idea on age/maker of the shades? Going to cross post the bases in the metalware forum.

Thanks for looking! 46390199862_465fe89edd_kdev.jpg 44624245630_30fba7727d_kdev.jpg 46390203382_993757c7f7_kdev.jpg 44624256530_8386fb97c7_odev.jpg 46390216922_13f64ea834_kdev.jpg 46440887671_cb6c57498d_kdev.jpg 45528176245_187fb134a9_kdev.jpg 46390183442_eda2b91390_kdev.jpg 45717699534_06f6d06c04_kdev.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thanks for showing !!!
    I'd like to see flames flicker in those !

aaroncab and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect the shades are Bohemian.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Aaron! Perfect for this time of year, but get those bases/holders polished up for best effect!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    aaroncab likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Stevens was the retailer and if I recall correctly the 61 in the square means they were made in 1961 (but I'll have to check that memory against something more concrete.)

And the bases are silverplated (silver soldered is the giveaway there.)

aaroncab likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Scratch that 61 in a square being 1961. The brain was sending me a Gorham dating scheme by mistake. :rolleyes:

More coffee, please!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That date's probably about right though. As a rule, any company using "silver" in a mark is manufacturing silverplate. Sterling manufacturers don't generally put the word silver in the name. International Silver calls their stuff International Sterling when it's the real deal. That said, I'm betting these would look great polished up with some evergreens around them.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I suspect the shades are Italian and good chance from the 1970s.

aaroncab likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Are you thinking Empoli? If the bases are as late as the 70s, then that's feasible.

clutteredcloset49 and aaroncab like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bases are before 1981, when International sold their plated holloware business to Oneida.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

Not thinking of any particular maker.
    Only looking at the bases, thinking late 60s early 70s. 70s was when we had an influx of Italian glass. They copied the burmese, cranberrry, Mary Gregory etc.

IS could very well have ordered the glass from Italy to go on their candlesticks

Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have one question for you. Are the shades actually cranberry glass or are they covered with a cranberry coating (I see some white spots)? The reason I ask is that I picked up a cranberry glass jar like thing last year with the idea of putting a candle inside and it turned out to be coated. As soon as the candle was lit, the little scratches showed up perfectly. But I still kept it because it was a pretty light.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

I think the white spots are reflections from lights in the room.

aaroncab likes this.
  15. aaroncab

They mostly are reflections yes... there is some light chipping and scratching on the very base I will see if I can get some pictures of that to determine if the glass is clear underneath.

16. aaroncab

Many thanks to everyone for your input - after considering all your thoughts I think probably can safely say 60's or 70's and most likely Empoli/italian glass. I'll give the bases a polish and post pics with candles in them soon :)

17. Bakersgma

Love your new avatar, Aaron!

18. aaroncab

Gotta love the classic Coca Cola Santa ads.

Draft saved Draft deleted