Featured Creepy Hedgehog Postcard

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by cxgirl, Nov 4, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thought I would share this, to me it is creepy but fun Hedgehog postcard. DSC01019.jpg
    Postcard for the local ski hill (used to be a ski hill, hasn't had snow in about 20 years)
    I'm thinking maybe the late 1960s?

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but I find those hedgehogs slightly disturbing (said the squirrel in a fedora and smoking jacket). And yet at the same time, they kind of make me smile. Huh.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol tdc, I like 'slightly disturbing', seems to describe these fellows perfectly!
    Your squirrel is very handsome in his hat and jacket, not creepy at all.

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cxgirl, those ugly little dudes remind me (perhaps too much!) of the Steiff mohair hedgehog dolls from the 1950's. (They used to have names like Macki, Mecki, Micki, Mucki, and Jacki - and they gave me the creeps when I was a kid!)

Steiff also did a collection of postcards with the hedgehogs on them, but the ones I have seen all had printing in German on them.

I don't know if your cards are actually Steiff, or if they just look like it.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Those faces sure looked familiar. Don't know if they are Steiff or not. Just know that I have seen them somewhere before .

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The faces look Berenstain Bear-ish to me!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

'Forbidden' ... 'Plateau'.......... o my...........

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like SBSVC was correct.
    Good job Messi

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I've sold those hedgehogs before - the Steiff ones, and have a set here now. They're kind of cute. What creeps me out are the Annalee dolls. They all look like the stereotype of an axe murderer or sex offender registry lifer.

Messilane likes this.
  11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks SBSVC, you are right on the money!
    Thanks messi for finding those cards - who knew there would be others out there lol

13. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Cxgirl, your 'creepy' hedgehog postcard brought back memories for me, of playing with a little model hedgehog as a child... see photo below. This little chap belonged to my grandmother and must be at least 50 years old, he stands about 4cm tall, and has a cigarette hanging from his mouth! Could it get any creepier?!!!

I remember my grandmother lighting the cigarettes, and we'd watch them burn. Grin. Maybe this is why I've never smoked... I was scarred for life!

Anyway, I love your postcard, thanks for sharing :).

IMG_3099.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol Batman_2000, yup, your little guy is creepy! Is there a hole for the smoke to escape?

15. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

There's a dimple where his mouth should be, which the 'cigarette' rests in - I can't remember what happens when it's lit, but I used to get quite excited about it (but then I was only little!).

Draft saved Draft deleted