Featured Crude, old looking vase. Italian?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Jun 29, 2018.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, I am getting an Italian vibe from this vase. Looks rather crudely made yet attractive in a post Friday-night-to-much-to-drink-who/why-are-you-in-my-bed? sort of way. Would appreciate any help with this one!

italy4.jpg italy3.jpg italy6.jpg italy5.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Maybe Iznik?

i need help, kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    kyratango likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

aaroncab likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If they claim it is Persian, they are right.;) It is Persian/Iranian, Qajar dynasty.
    Iznik (Turkish) is much more refined, and often has those thin tulips with pointy petals.
    During the late 19th century tourism was already a booming business in Iran. The ceramics industry was on its decline, and many of these very nice but lesser quality vases and other ceramics were churned out as souvenirs. That is why this vase looks a bit crude. But it is charming in its own right and it is antique.
    Quality ceramics only started being manufactured again in the mid 20th century, and they have been making beautiful ceramics ever since.

The asking prices in those links are very ambitious imho.

6. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Awesome! THANKS for all the links & info :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted