Featured Crystal Compote - Carved / Intaglio? ABP?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Jan 22, 2017.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I normally don't pick up this type of glass, but this was too pretty to ignore. I've done some minimal searching, including thumbing through my American Cut Glass Industry book by Spillman. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. If it's even ABP, I didn't find any signature.

It's 8-7/8" tall, 7-1/2" in diameter at the rim, and 4-7/8" at the foot. I'm guessing the pattern might be a morning glory? It appears to be blown, polished pontil and base, heavy crystal. Sorry - these pics are pretty bad, and I haven't cleaned it yet.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

IMG_9936.JPG
    IMG_9941.JPG
    IMG_9938.JPG
    IMG_9937.JPG
    IMG_9940.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lovely.
    I agree with Morning Glory.
    I think the end of the brilliant period, only a guess

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks like Frank Oda dba Arts Hawaii before the son moved it to the main land. Also check closely for a DT ie Dorthy Thorpe. I did not spot it in the photos.

UncleChuckTX and judy like this.
  4. eki

eki New Member

Well, maybe no matter with the question...but morning glory´s leaves not look like that carving there in that glass. Flower why not, but if check google photo-search.. - morning glorys leaves are like heart-shaped....and open from wide side of leave. Maybe young leaves are more looking like in that glass - ok - but even then, leaves are long and narrow. But just comment this. :) "first fast look" ...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    UncleChuckTX likes this.
  5. UncleChuckTX

Thanks Pat - in my searches for "intaglio" things, I see several other elegant glass makers did this style of engraved decoration, plus a few of the decorating companies.

Thanks George. I'll look into that.

Thanks - I see what you mean about the leaf shape. That's funny to me that I didn't notice, since I regularly have to prune back wild morning glory vines to keep them from taking over the rest of my flower garden. The hummingbirds love the morning glory flowers, which is the only reason I don't rip them out entirely.

6. clutteredcloset49

I still think morning glory.
    It may have been easier to cut rather than the heart shape. Artistic license.

7. eki

eki New Member

Yes... All other looks right...flower open and closed... so maybe its just artistic freedom to carve/cut what shape like. It was just one attention of mine, no more :)

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't normally pick up this kind of glass either, but I would have grabbed this one. It's absolutely stunning!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I just looked at some notes that I saved from a piece that I had a long time ago. It wasn't exactly like your piece but the flowers were more free hand like yours. I never found out exactly which company did the piece but I found similar pieces by Tuthill and Libbey.

11. UncleChuckTX

Thanks - I thought the same thing about the decoration - it has a style that's more contemporary, while the glass blank appears to be elegant glass. I've been looking for examples of the Hawaiian company George mentioned. I've also found the Libbey examples, and also some similar by makers like Tiffin and Pairpoint.

I guess I'll have to hang onto it a while, until I find out its origin. I'm not upset about that, though. :D

12. clutteredcloset49

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not morning glory - ipomoea. The flowers do indeed look fairly close but the leaves are totally wrong, especially those little pinnate ones. The base of the flower is far to bulbous. And morning glory blooms spring from a sort of cap.

Also, look at the shape of that open flower. Six sided with six bands.

Let me have a think.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  14. UncleChuckTX

Thanks again, Pat. I searched for Arts Hawaii, and got mostly drinkware. I agree though - it looks like a tool was used for the details and outline after the general shapes were cut.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll keep looking.

Draft saved Draft deleted