Crystal Heavy Thick Vase Russian ? Slavic?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Nov 14, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Sorry for the pics,my battery was almost out and I took many pics till I could get a pic of the label,I put a magnifyier over the writing. I can only make out 24% lead. Any info,age,country will be appreciated :)

php76FWBuAM.jpg phpdL7qkFAM.jpg phpWvI6nTAM.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The cutting looks Czechoslovakian.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

Thank you, I will try looking there, the label looked cyrillic so I was confused. :confused:

4. spirit-of-shiloh

OH DUH!!!! Just found that slavic also used cyrillic. :p

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

With the letter J in there, it is definitely not Russian. There are several other languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet.

6. Figtree3

I see the Cyrillic letters that transliterate to Skopje. That is the capital of the Republic of Macedonia.

The Macedonian alphabet also uses Cyrillic script, so you might look to that. Let me see if I can make out anything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonian_alphabet

7. Figtree3

The writing on the outer circle, upper left, says "lead crystal." The writing along the bottom on the inner circle, just below the logo, says "handmade."

I can't see enough of the rest of it. I translated the above phrases by using Google translate and an online Macedonian keyboard to make the letters and insert them. Since you have the item in hand, you may be able to make out more of the letters.

Here is the keyboard I was using:
    http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/macedonian.htm

Here is the link to google translate:
    https://translate.google.com/

spirit-of-shiloh and dgbjwc like this.
  8. spirit-of-shiloh

Oh thank you Fig, I will go to the links provided now. :cat:

9. spirit-of-shiloh

I love that language site but my eyes are dead now so I will try tomorrow. I still cannot make out the A with out the slash,like an inverted V thats on my label or find an N that slants to the right ? The only V inverted was found on the grec ancien...Λ...........but no backwards N? on any other language,the Masadonian seems the best bet buy missing the letters I just spoke of.

10. Figtree3

Shiloh, the font is different so it's not as apparent, but the one that looks like an inverted V is actually the letter Л (letter L in our alphabet)-- I have seen this kind of thing countless times in Russian, and it is just a different font style. The "backwards N" is И which is on the keyboard I linked. The closest equivalent to that letter is our letter i.

11. spirit-of-shiloh

Thank you, I did used that one when doing the Masadonian,finally got it all spelled out,then tried all over to find SEND? I then cleared it all by error. :arghh:

Here is another pic of the label.
    phpZENnW1AM.jpg

Well,shoot,looked bigger beforee I uploaded it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted