Featured Crystal identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Beckie, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Beckie

Beckie Member

Hi guys!! I just recently started getting into crystal. I think
    It’s beautiful. I picked up a few things over the weekend and have spent a lot of time trying to
    figure out what pattern they are. I am learning that there are soooo many!! I figured out what the cups are-but not my two bowls and decanter. Would anyone be willing to lend me a seasoned eye and see if they recognize the patterns? TIA!!!

2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Becky, we're visually impaired, can't see your pictures, can't ID anything without pictures.

Besides, Crystal is an overworked word, there are too many things rightly called Crystal. Need Pictures.

kyratango, Beckie, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Everyone would be willing to help you here.......

but.....

Thread-photo-demand.jpg

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Beckie!

Welcome to Antiquers!

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Beckie !!! ... Joy. :)

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

kyratango, judy, Beckie and 2 others like this.
  8. Beckie

Beckie Member

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

Are your pics in photo gallery?
    Email to yourself as Medium. That will resize them. Save resized photos to your gallery, upload those.

10. Beckie

Beckie Member

5C36D523-EC8C-4F77-9901-718D15F77073.jpeg A99DAE9B-8FCB-4DB2-9401-4B3340F2970E.jpeg 7B6D33CE-86A1-4001-AC92-66FA6FFDB7B6.jpeg 74FDC9EE-AC56-40C3-BF62-7CED07BAA99C.jpeg CB27349A-59DD-4FF2-B962-BA4931B63ECD.jpeg 7479A78F-03EE-40A8-B66D-DA13559EC78B.jpeg Worked like a charm! Thank you!!!

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  11. i need help

Great! One more adjustment, hit Edit, More Options, Check box for Full Size Images, Save Changes. Thanks :)

12. Beckie

Beckie Member

Thank you!!!!

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  13. scoutshouse

Brava!

Looks like there's a sterling cap on your decanter - the mark may tell where/who it's from...

14. Beckie

Beckie Member

Unfortunately no. Just the way it looks in the picture. It’s solid crystal.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  15. scoutshouse

ahhh - do you have the stopper?

I'm not a crystal/glassie, but someone will be along to check it out :)

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Ah, you like lead crystal. That is why the glass is so clear.
    All three are most likely made sometime from the 1990s to today. European lead crystal.

17. Beckie

Beckie Member

No. I wish. I bought 3 decanters. Two still had stickers and 1 was signed. But of course not the one without the stopper which may have been helpful. Lol.

judy, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  18. Beckie

Beckie Member

It’s a learning process for me! I was under the impression that the clearer the crystal the higher the quality? I didn’t realize it was an indication of time period. Would you be willing to clarify that for me a little?

19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, yes, but not necessarily.
    Waterford has several levels of quality, all of it is very clear.
    Crystal d'Arc is not considered a high end glass, yet their glass is crystal clear, because of the lead content.
    Mikasa puts out some very nice glass, also crystal clear. Yet I do not consider their glass to be high end.
    The clearer the glass means that lead was added for clarity.

It has absolutely nothing to do with determining age.

I am judging the age on many years of experience. I of course can be and have been wrong.
    You should investigate and verify everything, particularly if you intend to resell your items.

kyratango, janettekay, judy and 4 others like this.
  20. Beckie

Beckie Member

Yes. Definitely agree! I bought some glasses that are realllly pretty and clear and I found out are the d’arc brand.
    I don’t think I plan to resell. Maybe in the future. But I don’t feel like I know enough yet. my local thrift always has a decent amount of crystal. I want to learn more because I would like to know what’s worth picking up. Even if I don’t ever resell. Will be nice to have it to pass down to our kiddos.

Draft saved Draft deleted