Featured crystal necklace help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tricia Harr, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    any ideas the age of this necklace?
    I've never seen 1 like this before..
    tia 2019-02-25-17-14-10.jpg 2019-02-25-17-14-32.jpg 2019-02-25-17-14-43.jpg 2019-02-25-17-20-24.jpg

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Search under "open backed crystal double strand necklace".

Somewhat similar. Click on "original listing". Note that they say "Art Deco" and "AB" in the same title. Different decades. Do your research.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-B...h=item5218918484:g:tNUAAOSwoBlaXkum:rk:6:pf:0

A little hard to tell from the photos, some of these open backed crystal necklaces are as early as 1920's, but yours seem to have Aurora Borealis (AB) coating ---unless the photo is just picking up colors from reflections in the room? If they do have the AB coating, then post 1955 or so. If not, could be pre-1955.

You might experiment with posting an additional photo without flash, also photographing this on a lighter background. I think will make a necklace like this show up better.

I love these open backed glass necklaces. Very pretty.

3. Tricia Harr

Ty, has the ab coating for certain they are so neat though. stinks there's no markings.

4. Tricia Harr

no flash.. my pics look so yellowish 2019-02-25-18-48-02.jpg
    2019-02-25-18-48-02.jpg

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Try in outdoor light. You don't have to be directly in the sun, works well mid-day. (Or maybe just try flash with the lighter background?) You have to experiment a bit. With this last picture we get to see the entire thing, clasp included, which is always helpful. This is a really pretty piece.

These necklaces are almost never marked/signed unless a clasp might say "sterling" or something. They do sell on their own merits though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember a few years back about the guy who bought a necklace in the thrift store for his daughter to wear on Halloween. He paid 50 dollars for it and it turned out to be real diamonds and worth over 100 thousand bucks. It had no marks except sterling on the clasp.
    greg

Figtree3, KSW and Tricia Harr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted