Featured Crystal Trinket Box or? Vintage or antique? Unknown maker

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, May 17, 2022.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

C0AF959F-16AA-47F5-B67F-B62C84244D91.jpeg 3B3A23DD-C78C-4ED6-9384-735407A4468F.jpeg 82A87DF0-41C0-4269-A53A-48094D8786A5.jpeg 0FFC851D-AC66-4EA0-99F8-54B8EC5F48E6.jpeg
    Hi all,
    Sorry about the sideways pictures. Made it back from Brimfield and I’m going through my goodies. This box is so cool. I think by the weight and refraction that it might be crystal. I cannot find exactly like it. The top slip out of the gold brackets but not sure if it’s supposed to.
    It’s approx 4” w x 3” tall x 3” deep The clear material is approx 1/4” or a little more thick. I’ve inspected it all over and do not find any type of signature. Whatever was on the label on the bottom was handwritten by the shop and gone.

Any help with this is very much appreciated

I hope everyone is well ❤️

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Hit it with blacklight...the results, especially that label, may be instructive.

Any Jewelry, judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  3. gauntlettgems

Nice! I’ll try that

judy likes this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

My first thought was a cigarette box. Probably way off base though. Would the slide out top sit flat to maybe be used as an ashtray?

judy likes this.
  5. gauntlettgems

Yes, it could be used that way. No lips or dent to hold a cigarette though

judy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bet that's French.

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Very pretty.
    I don't think it is.:nailbiting: Doesn't the top open normally, metal and all? It looks like it is supposed to.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  8. gauntlettgems

That’s what my research was pointing to but I really like it when you guys, who are way more knowledgeable, agree or point me in the right direction.

Born2it, Any Jewelry and Ownedbybear like this.
  9. gauntlettgems

It does have a hinge and opens and closes. How can I tell if it is crystal? I kind of see refraction and it is very heavy. Does anyone think late 19th century? I have not found anything like this one but there are pieces that resemble it a bit.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted