Featured Crystal Vase - Any Information appreciated

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 8, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this 12 inch tall and 5 lbs+ crystal vase because I appreciated the weight and the interesting way it was cut - it is cut so the thin side faces out. It does not have a mark (though I thought I had spotted something at first that turned out to be a smattering of clear debris in the shape of a flower. :banghead:) It has very thick crystal around the opening. As I search the net for hours to find one similar, it appeared to me to look like the neck thickness of some Orrefors vases. What do I know though. If any of you have thoughts about it of any kind, I would appreciate you sharing them. IMG_2103.jpg IMG_2095.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2097.jpg IMG_2099.jpg IMG_2101.jpg IMG_2102.jpg

Ghopper1924, aaroncab, EddieG and 4 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed: it's the same shape and profile as much Mandruzzato sommerso.

4. KikoBlueEyes

5. KikoBlueEyes

I appreciate your second opinion. Something new to look up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Be careful when looking up Mandruzzato sommerso, some of that glass is positively addictive! :rolleyes:

I do like these heavy glass vases for cut flowers. Unlikely to tip over, etc. and really can show off the flowers.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Well there is a 12 inch one on 1stdibs marked down from $6500 ;), so I did good at $10. I like it because Riley can't knock it off when she lays on the mantel.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning vase, Kiko.
    Beter take it off the car though, I don't think it will survive a drive like that.:eek:

9. KikoBlueEyes

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    You brighten my day. I have to get a new place to take pictures outside I suppose.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

OK, another thought. Google on Stromberg Diamond. Looks very like Mandruzzato in shape,but plain colours.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Oh good! Something else to look up. I'm so happy. :happy:

12. KikoBlueEyes

I think you are going in the right direction, but her vases have an hexagonal top and mine in square. Now the collectors weekly has a vase from Gunther Nylund who he said predates Stromberg that has the right square top. See quoted narrative below. That vase, which he calls a Strombergshyttan prism vase is only 9 inches where mine is 12, but I think it will be a fruitful line of inquiry.

[​IMG][​IMG]

"This unusual square prism vase differ from Asta Strombergs hexagonal prism (diamond) vases from late 1950s. It's probably an early Gunnar Nylund design because there is a sketch of such a square prism vase preserved, which is signed "GN - SH -54". Not exactly the same but the square type and with the same basic shape and slightly wider. And there is probably no doubt about that Asta Stromberg was inspired by this basic form of Gunnar Nylund, when she later designed the more common hexagonal diamond prism vases for Strombergshyttan.

It probably exaggerating if we say that the shape is stolen from Nylund, for it is a lot more complicated grinding (and more brainwork behind) on the hexagonal diamond vases, than this more simple model. But inspired by it is not too much to say. I have also seen these prism models from Italian Murano. "

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted