crystal wine glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MIRED, Aug 1, 2020.

1. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Hi again,

I have a set of 6 of these glasses that I think are crystal and think are for wine. It's 6" tall and about 2 1/2" across the top. Has a multifaceted stem and plain base. I hope you can see the pattern - it's made of diagonal cuts of 3 in a row. No marks. Any idea what the pattern is called or who the maker may be? I've searched every crystal pattern site I could find with no luck. Thanks so very much! IMG_6926.JPG IMG_6927.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well my thought was Crystal D'Arques (sp). The stem matches, but couldn't find anything with that bowl shape.
    So, checked Gorham - found the bowl shape, but not the stem.

I don't think it is terribly old. 1990s and later.

Does it have a good ring?

3. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Wow thanks CC. I think it has a good ring but I wouldn't swear by that. I don't have a great ear and not experienced at testing.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The ring alone is not sufficient. Modern "lead" crystal has 24% lead oxide in the batch. It is known among glass manufacturers that 4% lead oxide will make a goblet, etc., ring just as nicely. Some real quality glass has as much as 36% lead. 24% is required by law before it can be called "Lead Crystal."

MIRED and judy like this.
  5. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

I sent my photos to Replacements.com and they identified them quickly. Bingo!
    • Manufacturer: Franconia
    • Pattern Name: Embassy Clear
    • Pattern Code: FRCEMB
    • Piece Name: Claret Wine
    • Piece Code: CLA
    • Size: 6 Inches Height; Size: 2 3/4 Inches Width

Draft saved Draft deleted