Cudgel?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Deb Tosoni, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Deb Tosoni

Deb Tosoni Member

My father had this but I didn’t inherit it until a few years ago after my brother passed. In fact, I had never seen it before.
    I really don’t know what it is. I was thinking it was some kind of trench art. I thought it might be from WW2 because of the Nazi sign.
    Any information would be welcomed
    Deb 730408EF-7952-4DD9-9144-B5D16FBC95BF.jpeg 1AE69B2D-9DAB-46DF-93CB-20BB7AA85B3F.jpeg BF4AC2FF-DD70-4190-92B0-8741C25DB071.jpeg 8AD00E0C-A233-42A4-9FBF-1D839DF48A72.jpeg B309D1D3-8211-41EC-A0B3-B894EDCE7C73.jpeg

flipper and smallaxe like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Knobkerrie praps?

wood looks wrong tho

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if u think that all swastikas are n-zi symbols, u have some learning needs be done !

NA North Eastern burl root club...
    nice...but not that old ( but the swastika could mean pre- 1935 ) ...and not that good.....compared to others....

upload_2020-4-22_19-13-19.jpeg upload_2020-4-22_19-14-2.jpeg upload_2020-4-22_19-14-44.jpeg upload_2020-4-22_19-16-17.jpeg upload_2020-4-22_19-18-7.jpeg

the ones with indian faces, are of a latter version....
    earlier ones had creepy faces, or animals ..or none at all....
    A good killing weapon in the right hands....but mostly ceremonial.

upload_2020-4-22_19-24-47.jpeg

5. komokwa

6. Deb Tosoni

Deb Tosoni Member

Not sure why you had to throw me under the bus. After I posted I remembered the bronze bookends I had with a Native American symbol that resembled the nazi symbol, but I didn’t think I should confuse issues. All I wanted was some information, not an insult. Also, sorry mine is not up to your standards. I thought this forum was a friendly, informative place.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Please don't take offense. This is a place to learn and sometimes things get misinterpreted (maybe it's texting?), believe me, I know. You are allowed to forget and make mistakes and ask questions and not know everything. That is called being human. :)

Fid, SBSVC, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  8. komokwa

Every one here is friendly.....except me !!:p
    And you are welcome for my time & effort to explain your items history and where it came from...... even though you seem not to have noticed that ! ;)..:meh:

9. komokwa

oh...and it may or may not be native made....I wasn't there when it was carved....!

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

These were also made at summer camps in the 30s and 40s. I had one for awhile that had the name of the camp and the campers who worked on it.

komokwa and Deb Tosoni like this.
  11. komokwa

I sold 2 that had Quebec, carved into them !
    Neither had the panache of the Penobscot carvings...

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @Deb Tosoni .
    The swastika is an ancient sun symbol or energy symbol. It is used in many cultures, especially Shamanic ones, and seen a lot in Native American/First Nations (Shamanic) art. You may also have seen it on Buddhist items. The word itself is Sanskrit. In North America the symbol is also referred to as whirling log.
    Unfortunately it was abused during a period of recent world history. The way it was used during that period, counter-clockwise, is an ancient magico-Shamanic way to ensure a fast result. Fortunately the end of the period also came fast.

Shamanism is the oldest form of spirituality in the world. The essence is balance and harmony between realities, using an intermediary for communication. The sun, and the sun's life-giving energy, play an important part.
    Magico-Shamanic is Shamanic with a focus on magic. Don't try this at home.:playful:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Deb Tosoni and komokwa like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Swastika is definitely used by Navajo, but that is thousands of miles away from the Penobscot. As far as I can tell the swastika (whirling log) wouldn't have been a traditional Penobscot symbol, though in the 20th century could be adopted as an "indian" decoration as Navajo work became widely known. Here is a Maine museum collection of clubs with provenance from the Penobscot and nearby tribes, some decorated (no swastikas), some undecorated, which are like the ones komoka showed: https://abbemuseum.pastperfectonline.com/search?utf8=✓&search_criteria=club&searchButton=Search

OP's also lacks the horns that almost all Penobscot clubs have; could be native american but I would assume it is made and decorated to look "indian", maker incorporating native american motifs without knowing which were appropriate. Could be from a summer camp?

Here again, one of my favorite things about this forum is when I read about things I recognize which forces me to research the things I own. I grew up with a Maine vacation cabin adjacent to Passamaquoddy land (therefore close to Penobscot also). I've had this club with obvious age to it for a long time, was told it was authentic but never researched it until I saw komoka's pics. No obvious carved motifs but maybe that's a good thing. Came from Maine; 33" long.
    P4272410.JPG P4272411.JPG P4272412.JPG P4272413.JPG P4272414.JPG

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted