Featured Cufflinks?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DBinSV, Apr 19, 2018.

1. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

These pieces are 3 cm. in diameter.

The Russian word дарю (“daryu”), across the front, means “I give.” I don’t understand what the significance of the word is in this context.

The “scrolling foliage” design is reminiscent of that of the vodka cup (image attached for reference), which I posted about previously. (I have since learned that it is a vodka cup, rather than a kiddush cup.)

I’m guessing that it’s silver but I’m not sure, so I will post this in the “Antique Discussion” subforum. Hope that's OK.

Any insight into this set would be most appreciated.

Cufflinks_Front_2.jpg Cufflink_Back.jpg Cufflink_Marks.jpg Vodka_Cup_Front.jpg.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

84 is a Russian silver purity mark.

We had a discussion about Jewish kiddush cups here recently.
    I tend to favor yours as a non kiddush cup....but it could be used for wine, in a pinch.

Anyone who can read the other marks, will show up sooner than later....

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look like shirt studs. They are silver with niello. The style is Caucasian (in the true meaning of the word).
    An important silver centre in the Caucasus is Kubachi in Dagestan.
    Niello is a black metal alloy and sulphur mixture used for inlay. The silver content is 84 zolotniki, .875 fineness (87.5% silver). They were made before 1896, when a national mark was introduced.

I can't make out the town assay mark (in the crest shape), we need someone with better eyes to see that. It is asymmetrical, which rules out many, but leaves many others. Russia is big.;)
    Caucasian silver can be marked in different towns, sometimes outside the Caucasus. This mark could be for Kazan, but I'll leave that to the others.
    KL is the maker's mark, but you can only find the maker if you know which town to look in.
    Here is another example of Caucasian niello ware:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/r...-please-caucasian-silver-niello-buckle.23019/

5. Any Jewelry

Sniped. Great minds.:D

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:joyful:;):kiss:

7. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

My great-grandfather, to whom this probably belonged, attended Kazan University in the 1880s (when it was Kazan Imperial University). So what you say appears very much on the mark. Excellent call! Given that it almost certainly is Kazan, then, is there a way to identify the maker?

8. Any Jewelry

I can't find KL in the lists I have. But with so many Russian (and other) silversmiths, it is impossible to make a complete list.
    Maybe @DragonflyWink knows.

Christmasjoy, DBinSV and kyratango like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

KL would be a Caucasian maker, and could be from Kubachi, Dagestan. Whether he stayed in Dagestan or went to another region, we may never know.

Christmasjoy, DBinSV and kyratango like this.
  10. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Thank you so much, @Any Jewelry. It is enough to know that the likely origin is Kazan, pre-1896, as this would explain to whom the shirt studs belonged.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I must say DB.....it's a good thing you found us when you did.:woot:

Your good photo's are much appreciated, as it the quality of your items.:)

I don't know how many items you're looking to pass on....but I hope it's many more !!;);)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

The Tula mark is symmetrical, this one looks asymmetrical, with a larger mass at the bottom.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

For what it's worth, it's possible that the initials are either KA or KД -- poorly struck. The second letter doesn't look like an L to me. Even if they were using non-Cyrillic letters it doesn't look like an L.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thank you for the extra pair of eyes.;) Alas, no luck finding a maker with initials KA or KД either.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted