Curio/china curved cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Duran, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Duran

Duran Member

20191229_112440_resized.jpg Recently aquired this piece and trying to figure out age and value. Only marking is number on back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The radial cut veneers on the back plywood indicate that this is a reproduction. Started seeing them in force in the 70s.

4. Duran

Duran Member

Really? Wow thought it may be a little older with the discoloration of the mirror on top.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The back may have been replaced. It looks c.1900 to me, mass-manufactured, catalog piece.The beveled glass is nice.

Ghopper1924 and Duran like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Agree on later 20th century reproduction.

Joe2007, KikoBlueEyes and Duran like this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I agree with Brad and Ghopper. They made this style for a very long time and similar pieces are very common here in the Midwest. Are there shelves with the piece? Value w/shelves and intact glass would be a right around $100 at auction since curio cabinets are a very hard sell these days.

Ghopper1924 and Duran like this.
  8. Duran

Duran Member

Yes there are shelves. These go for more at estate sales as i know they are making money for the family. Here they are on average priced at $350 and up depending on condition and details. Even in the antigue shops they can average $400 here. Not sure if they sell.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Recently aquired this piece and trying to figure out age and value.

you seem to already know the value...... having been to several estate sales and antique shops........;)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value is dependent on locality and selling venue. We could probably get a couple hundred at retail here in my Midwest location. Sounds like you might do better where you are.

Duran and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted