Featured Curio or China cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Chris76, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Chris76

Chris76 New Member

Ok, this is a curio or china cabinet that belonged to my great Grandma. Now it belongs to my Mom. I know my great Grandma acquired it used, so the age is unknown to us. Below are some pictures and I'm hoping to see if anyone has any info about it, as far as age. Also, she's wanting to replace the hardware on it and keep it as original looking as possible. She has a couple pieces of it and maybe it will help identify what it should have on it or maybe what they originally looked like. I've heard of some things being identified by the hardware on it, so I've added a couple pictures of that too. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a few other close up pictures of it if more are needed. Thanks!

Front view
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

Door latch striker
    [​IMG]

Hinge
    [​IMG]

Door knob (what's left of it)
    [​IMG]

This is the part that goes inside of the knob and catches the striker. Looks like something was threaded onto the end of it and sat on the outside of the knob.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1910 (Empire Revival). A bookcase since the shelves and sides are wood. A china cabinet has glass sides and, often, glass shelves. Probably had a push-button latch. They are not easy to find.

3. verybrad

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Here, that would be a china and glass cabinet or sideboard, rather than for books. Somewhere between 1890 and 1920s ish.

Chris76, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. Chris76

Chris76 New Member

Thanks so much for great info! I told my Mom about it and she is ok with ordering reproduction push button latches for it. I can't thank you enough!

6. DavidC

DavidC Member

Curios are normally viewed from above. All above posters are correct. Late 19th earlier 20th C. Vitrina type. V. Nice

Chris76 likes this.
  7. Chris76

Chris76 New Member

Does anyone know what kind of wood it is made of? Maybe mahogany or cherry?

8. verybrad

Likely mahogany - combination of veneers and solids. Some of the solid wood pieces are probably of a lesser wood that has been stained to match.

Chris76 likes this.
  9. Chris76

Chris76 New Member

Ok, thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted