Curious about a Twig Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by DeAnne, Jul 19, 2018.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Okay so I got this basket out of an estate I bought a few months. The lady kept going on about this particular basket insisting it should go to a museum somewhere. And for the life of me I don't get it it just looks like an old twig basket to me. Am I missing something? Even the arrow looks like a reproduction to me.

IMG_4048.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think the arrow is worth more than the basket........................
    it may be a repro.....but well made..

3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

No, you were right in thinking this isn't anything a museum would be interested in! These twig "bird nest" baskets have been on the market for several years in craft shops and the like. I think most of them were made in China.

When the country style was in, they were popular little decorator items. Since it is illegal to use real bird nests, these seem to have filled the void.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys for confirming that

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a pretty combination, but like you I fail to see museum interest.
    The arrow head is made of obsidian. As komo said, the arrow is a nice repro.

Arrow symbolism and obsidian, that means double protection in many Shamanic traditions. There could be a neo-Shamanic meaning to this ensemble of basket, feathers and arrow.
    I was raised in a tradition with a Shamanic influence, and because of that I came to know a lot of neo-Shamanists. I could picture this in their homes.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    komokwa, i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted