Curious about age and style!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sarah808, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Sarah808

Sarah808 New Member

My mom just got this for me at an estate sale. It's fun! Can anyone tell me anything about the style or age?

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Get that shade off it, please - can we have a proper look at fitment and base. Looks to me like a very nice late 19th C Bohemian enamelled glass vase which some fool has turned into a lamp.

judy likes this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Looks to me like Italian capodimonte, maybe 1960's-80's.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  4. Ownedbybear

Which is why we need better photos. ;)

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Old or new, original or mismatched, I love the whimsy of it. Think I would like your mom.

My non-expert opinion is that the shade is a replacement but that if the base is metal with the ceramic body fitted in so perfectly, it was always a lamp. My expert opinion is that they are all scenes of putti piping & dancing.

kyratango, Sarah808 and Sandra like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same as Sandra 1960-70s Capodimonte Style lamp.
    Whether it started out as a vase as Owned suspects, or made to be a lamp. Doesn't matter at this point. It is now a fun lamp that you will enjoy.

I too like the funky shade.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Here is another vote for Capodimonte. I've seen this type described as a boudoir lamp, so I assume it started out life as a lamp.

kyratango and Sarah808 like this.
  8. Sarah808

Sarah808 New Member

Another picture without shade in the way!

Attached Files:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Where are my manners, welcome to the forum, Sarah808.:)

kyratango, Bronwen and Sandra like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Sarah, is it porcelain or glass? It looks like glass in the last picture.

11. Sarah808

Sarah808 New Member

Thank you!

kyratango likes this.
  12. Sarah808

Sarah808 New Member

The center is glass and the top and bottom, porcelain! I've been looking at others based on what you all told me about the capodimonte style! I'm not seeing any glass and porcelain together, but the porcelain looks similar.

kyratango likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Aha, there's definitely glass. ;) It's very well done, and far better quality than Capodimonte of the period, especially with that good enamelling on the body. Can you show the upside down base, please, plus how the cable goes in, and also the fitment and top?

judy, kyratango, Sandra and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I, too, got so caught up in your lamp, which I'm loving more & more, that I forgot to say a proper hello. It's almost a separate subject, but I would like to see a full view of the shade. It looks interesting in its own way.

judy, Sandra, Sarah808 and 1 other person like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

It's a little elaborate for my personal style, but your mom did well to snag that. There can't be too many about in good condition, dog tails and small children being what they are.

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The lampshade was once a flapper dress, augmented with a loooooong necklace of green and gold beads. The whole thing is putti cute, and your mother and you must have a great relationship!

Welcome!

judy, kyratango, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  17. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I suspect it is Italian and a combination of glass and porcelain(at least to me it looks like the font is green lass with assembly with pottery "handles". a view of how the cord enters the base would be interesting.

18. Any Jewelry

The lampshade was made from materials that were new at the time, it was designed like that. They used to be very popular with the more elaborate Italian style.

judy likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

The glass looks Bohemian - and that's entirely possible, it may be a combo of two countries.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted