Curious adornment found in the ground

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Majestic12, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Majestic12

Majestic12 New Member

Hi,
    I found this curious item in my soil. I assume it is brass and appears to be hand-made, with enamel inlays. Much of the enamel has come out. Note the top left and right enamels are magenta along with the bow on the bottom, though are soiled. The center rectangle has dark blue enamel. I have not been able to find any maker's mark on it. The item must have been quite beautiful when it was new.
    First of all, what is it? It has a top bracket and a brazed-on bar on the back which is now bent.

How old is it? Is it foreign to the U.S., where it was found?

Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
    IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks to be half of a belt buckle.

Debora

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Half a belt buckle. I'm thinking it's about 100 years old. It's not worth much in that condition, but it's cool.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup, belt buckle.
    search for any marks on the back...

KingofThings likes this.
  5. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I thought that it might be from a Space Ship.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cloisonne enamel half of a belt buckle. Late 19th to early 20th C, might be French, they did a lot of them.

7. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

The enameling is champleve.

8. Majestic12

Majestic12 New Member

Thanks so much for the very enlightening information! The little thing has me a little bewitched.

I wonder what its story is. Granted it is not worth much and it still has mud on it. Maybe I will soon find the other half!

What was the belt material?

I would like to clean it up gently, olive oil soak? vinegar? Still looking for any markings on it.

I would also like to see old photos of people wearing something similar, any good links online?

Again, thanks!

9. Ownedbybear

Give it a wash in warm soapy water and a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush. If you want to then make the enamel look good, buy a Sunshine cloth on Ebay and use it. The belt was probably fabric, given it's a woman's buckle.

10. evelyb30

As for cleaning it, take a magnet to it before doing anything else. If it sticks, use oil. Getting it wet might make matters worse. If it's brass or spelter, I'm betting brass, soap and water will help. It was probably gold-plated originally, so it may not polish up.

11. Ownedbybear

I've washed these before now, to get the worst of the crud off. As long as you dry thoroughly and quickly - hair dryer works - it's fine. That's even if it's ferrous. A smear of WD40 wouldn't hurt to protect it.

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Style-wise, it looks Art Nouveau to me.

13. Ownedbybear

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'd be looking for the other half

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if there's a chance it's actually from the 1970s, when there were lots of large, interesting belt buckles and early 1900 styles were popular?

Or is the construction so typical of the earlier period that there's no question?

16. Ownedbybear

I think too well made for the 70s - the back has proper channels, hm?

17. evelyb30

1890 is more like it, maybe 1900.

18. Majestic12

Majestic12 New Member

It is completely non-ferrous. Not surprised its that old, area where it was found has documented history back to the early 1800's. I looked but have not found its partner piece. Lots of very old horse shoes, though. Still looking!
    Thanks!

Pat P and Bev aka thelmasstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted