Featured Curious silver pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jal, May 20, 2020.

1. Jal

Jal Active Member

Hello,

I want to show this item in order to have your opinion. It looks like a religious item, relic or amulet. It's interesting.
    r.png rr.png

Thanks in advance!

KSW, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Is that a ghost of a cat in the center?

KSW, Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Think you need to polish it so we can see what it is.
    Appears something may have fallen off from the center.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mm, I think something missing.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

whatever it was, it's not now..!;)

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It is under glass? Maybe some moist penetrated and damaged the interior keepsake?

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. lizjewel

Reminds me of butterfly wing jewelry. Have had/sold a lot of it way back. Butterfly wings were collected during and after the world wars in Italy by youngsters catching the butterflies in nets, selling them for the wings to be made into jewelry, esp. in England and USA. Encased behind cheap domes of Perspex (English), Lucite (American), or old glass covers from the watch industries, the wings provided colorful backgrounds for motifs decaled on the back of the domes.
    Butterfly Wing Jewelry

KSW likes this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Bronwen, KSW and Bakersgma like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Perhaps we could have some more pictures, along with a description of what you see, having the piece in hand? Are the claws set firmly against whatever material (granite?) the twisted wire circle (brass?) is set into or on? Is there room under the claws for something else like a piece of glass? Is that lighter area in the center gouged out, or scraped, or remnants of adhesive, or what?

My initial impression is perhaps a fob charm, not seeing what would indicate a religious item at this point...

~Cheryl

kyratango likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i thought it was praying hands....but maybe not..

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Please tell me that isn't a piece of.......bone.....:meh:

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Geez, my eyesight is just so bad anymore - is that something three-dimensional in the center?

~Cheryl

KSW likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It's difficult to tell from straight on so no it's not your eyesight!.

kyratango likes this.
  14. Jal

Jal Active Member

Hello,
    Thanks for your answers and interest. I’m happy because this item is also very interesting for me.
    As you have had many comments and answers I will reply in a general way.
    The item is made in silver, I tested it. In addition, it is decorated with manual procedures. His shape is like a box with a glass. I think It is made for not be opened again. Inside have cloth background, a circle of yellow metal or something similar, and in the middle have a piece of wood or maybe bone, how someone told.
    Like other forum members, it remember me a religious praying piece, amulet ore somthing similar.
    As you can see, the glass is scratched and dirty inside. I will try to take better pictures, but it will be difficult.
    If someone think that her answer had been not answered or want more information, ask me.

Thanks.

Any Jewelry, KSW and kyratango like this.
  15. Jal

Jal Active Member

rrrr.png rrrrrrr.png
    Now better!

Any Jewelry, KSW and kyratango like this.
  16. lizjewel

@Jal Sounds like it's a religious memento from a holy place, like the Vatican, or Jerusalem, Bethlehem. A small piece of wood may represent a "piece of the Holy Cross". These amulets were and still are sold to pilgrims to holy places. It's not important [to the pilgrim] if the wood actually came from the real Holy Cross. The important thing is to have something in hand, or around his/her neck to remember the pilgrimage.

KSW, stracci and kyratango like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I have no idea how I've got to this age without knowing that these bone etc pendants are a thing!. I've just googled bone reliquary and almost wish I hadn't but strangely fascinating.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  18. lizjewel

@KSW I saw in a documentary (or read somewhere) that the Catacombs in Rome had to be closed to the public because visitors made off with so much of the bones in them that it was feared they'd run out one day. Not all pilferers were devout pilgrims or souvenir collecting tourists. Most were thieves who sold the bones to the reliquary industry. There is moula in them thar' bones apparently...

KSW and kyratango like this.
  19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

After the fascinating Tokyo sewage relic...;):joyful:

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You had to bring that up didn't you?!:rolleyes::hilarious:

I think it's been upstaged by this though. Just the thought of wearing someone else's bones gives me shivers. Mine are fine though, I'm happy with those.
    Do you think these were meant to afford the wearer protection or just to give spiritual comfort?
    My googling tells me they were (are?) obviously very popular. That is if it IS bone and I'm not way off track.

It goes without saying that I regularly wear my Tokyo poo pendant with pride:shame:

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted