Curved Knives/Daggers Are Tools, Right?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Vesuvia, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Hey all, so, I’m not sure if I have the right section for this posting, please let me know if I haven’t. But a friend has a lot of sculptures and curved daggers she wants to sell, but I know nothing of curved daggers and even less about the carved sculptures. Would any of you mind taking a look at them and telling me whether or not they’d be worth the $200 she’s asking? I’d appreciate any insights! 389CCD9B-E540-4AE6-B7AF-3AB2BD2E43D3.jpeg A42A1BDD-93E6-48EB-90E6-4A2949C7D286.jpeg

Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like Yemeni Jambiya's......
    there are many.....and telling the age...is difficult...as is a fair market value..

[​IMG]

it helps when the set is complete.....to tell the authentic used ones...from the market variety..

[​IMG]

the stone items could old...or not???

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think Oman is also a possibility. In Yemen they are called jambiya, in Oman khanjar. Some regional styles overlap, and what I see so far is not conclusive either way.
    They are not tools, but worn as part of men's clothing and as a status symbol. They can be used in single combat if necessary, but most have never been used as such.

The photo is pretty blurry. It is difficult to tell Yemeni and Omani daggers apart if you can't see the decorations very well. It is also difficult to see if the metal is silver or base. The devil is in the detail.;)
    They are complete, btw. A decorated belt is a bonus, but the lack of it doesn't make a jambiya/khanjar incomplete. They look used, genuine, but that doesn't say very much about the age.

Whether Yemeni or Omani, I would advise against buying them. Jambiya/khanjar hilts are often made of rhino horn, which is a pity and makes it difficult to sell if you have no solid proof they are pre-CITES.

Daggers of the Southern Arabian peninsula:
    https://www.fordemilitaryantiques.com/articles/2020/9/8/the-arab-dagger

Here is some info on the differences (and confusion) between the different jambiyas from the southern Arab region:
    http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13214

Omani styles, some similar to the ones you posted:
    http://khanjar.om/Types.html

The figurines are also from the Southern Arabian region, but you would need to take them to an expert to find out if they are real antiquities (200 BC?). I think they are interesting, but couldn't say anything sensible about them other than the region. The alabaster ones aren't worn as smooth as the ones I've seen before, I don't know if that means anything.
    If they are antiquities, it would be good to have provenance. That would also protect you against questions about possible illegal exports.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  4. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Thank you very much for this wonderful information! Down I go into another knowledge filled rabbit hole! I love it! ♥️

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Send us a message if you get lost, we will send a search and rescue team.:playful:

Vesuvia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted