Featured Cushman Colonial Furniture Date of production?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniel oshaughnessy, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

I found this sideboard and dining table out thrifting. They are both Cushman. I was wondering if they are early or late production. Any info is greatly appreciated. :)

100_3665.JPG 100_3672.JPG 100_3689.JPG 100_3700.JPG

2. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

There is someone on board who knows a lot about Cushman...hope they see this thread !!!

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

In 1933, the company launched a collection of early American furniture inspired by the Colonial Revival movement of the late 1800’s. These new designs, produced by long-time employee Herman DeVrie, were branded as “Cushman Colonial Creations” and reinvigorated the company’s sales over the next 25 years. Cushman Colonial Creations featured turned wooden legs, solid hardwood construction, and traditional American craftsmanship.

https://vermontwoodsstudios.com/blog/cushman-furniture/

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very pretty wood...

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Both tags are pre 1942. The first numeral indicates year, so '9022T' was introduced in 1939 , and '4-43' would be 1934. (numbers with dashes only used for a couple of years early on). Some Cushman pieces were made for 10-15 years, others for only 1-2 years. Both your pieces have the early tags.... they went to oval tags in 1942 (type of plastic during the war due to metal shortages, then brass oval tags in the late 40's & 50's.
    Yes, I'm a Cushman collector - have 25 pieces. Yours are nice and look to be in very good condition.

6. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

Thank you for the info! I plan on keeping these, love them. Also found two arm chairs that went with the table. The chairs have the same type tags.

LauraGarnet02, Born2it, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

One more bit of info - Cushman used Northern yellow birch from Vermont and Canada, not maple which folks mistakenly assume. They felt birch was a superior wood. The russet finish was their special formulation which they applied in a eight step labor intensive process, and this is why original finished pieces, when waxed have a unique beauty. Cushman introduced the russet finish to the furniture industry in 1933 - it was copied heavily for the next 20 years, but never equaled.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You've taken VERY GOOD care of your pieces or gotten GREAT pieces!!! They both look brand new!!!! KUDOS to YOU!!!!!:):):)

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice description of the Cushman finishing method, Drew. These pieces are definitely a cut above the usual Ethan Allan mid-century stuff.

10. Alanzbad

Alanzbad New Member

I have a cushman end with pencil marks that write 32 above the number 534? Not mint needs restored or not?trying to sell not sure of a good price any help

judy likes this.
  11. Isabell

Isabell New Member

I just recently purchased 3 chairs and a table that were listed as Cushman Maple. The tags on them are metal and round, the table says 3-72 and the chairs say 4-24. Does anyone have any idea if these are actually maple and how old they are. Thanks in advance.

judy likes this.
  12. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

First number indicates year - table introduced 1933, chairs 1934. Some pieces were made for 5-10 or even 15 years.... oval metal tags came in in 1946 and used until the 60's. Your table/chairs made in the 1946-64 era (most likely on the earlier side)

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Carol Varanelli

Carol Varanelli New Member

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum @Carol Varanelli!

You can reply to a certain post by hitting that reply to that comment, type your comment then hit Post.

Or you an write in the next text box and hit Post.

judy likes this.
  15. MIKE1DUNN

MIKE1DUNN New Member

Any info on this mirror would be greatly appreciated. #077.

judy likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Which mirror, @MIKE1DUNN ? If you have a mirror you want info on, we'll need pictures (front and back plus any marks) and any info you may already have.

DragonflyWink and judy like this.
  17. MIKE1DUNN

MIKE1DUNN New Member

Sorry I was trying to get pics small enough. 4744391F-95CE-4565-9CF3-6DF9EE6A2C33.jpeg D3F8E754-392A-4A5F-B324-053D44E46624.jpeg

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9C573538-0475-49A3-A4E1-96FCB7CC5A29.jpeg BEA82F05-AA6E-4268-8CDC-4C8DEFCC0957.jpeg 3095F699-A207-404A-8F82-F5CAF39A7036.jpeg F982F3AD-674C-4CB4-8541-9167A12F3A76.jpeg

Maybe @Drew will be back.

LauraGarnet02, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  19. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

#077 indicates a 1940 introduction -

LauraGarnet02, judy and i need help like this.
  20. MIKE1DUNN

MIKE1DUNN New Member

Thank You Drew

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted