Featured Cut Glass Bath Salts Jar - Age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Oct 8, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I recently acquired this cut glass bottle that I think would hold bath salts. The bottle measures about 6" tall with the stopper in. I thought it might be an older piece but the stopper is hollow rather than solid and I'm not used to seeing that on older pieces. The last picture shows the wear on the base so that would argue for age (unless it's sanded). No signature. So I thought I'd run it by you all to see what you thought. Thanks for whatever insights you can provide.
    Don

IMG_20181008_160340942.jpg IMG_20181008_160843706.jpg IMG_20181008_160410297.jpg IMG_20181008_160420062.jpg IMG_20181008_160951230.jpg

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I believe it is older, probably before 1920's. If it was used for bath salts or bath oils, the hollow cap may have served as a measure.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sandra. It never occurred to me that the top could be used as a measuring device. Much appreciated!
    Don

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find.....it's very attractive...

dgbjwc likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Besides a vanity jar, it might be an apothecary jar, horse radish or mustard jar.

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I've had antique pieces of cut glass with hollow stoppers in tableware. With table items, like a horseradish jar, for instance, the hollow stopper was to allow you to place a small spoon inside and still put the lid on. Yours is a lovely item, nice find!

clutteredcloset49 and dgbjwc like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, ola402 and cluttered and komokwa! Considering I knew nothing about this jar I'm lucky I scored it.
    Don

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted