Cute French Pug/bulldog Ceramic Top of Something?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Dec 18, 2020.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

This is something I picked up years ago in a French market, but I still have no idea what it is. It looks like it might fit into the top of something, perhaps a coffee jar, and there is a slot in the head which might hold a spoon. I've never seen anything else like it, and wonder if one of you folks might have an idea of its use. I am guessing its date is around 1930's to 50's, but of course could well be wrong. Whatever he is I think he's great, but need to move him on and don't know how to describe him. By the way I apologise for the strange appearance of my thumb, it's not going septic, it's a trick of the light! French bulldog - 1.jpg French bulldog - 2.jpg French bulldog - 3.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Would it work for used razor blades?

i need help and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. ValerieK

Now that's a possibility I had never thought of! It could sit atop a container of new razor blades, and the used ones could be tipped out of the top at intervals to be safely disposed of. I suppose it depends on how big a razor blade used to be; the width of the slot is only 0.7", and the height of the dog, excluding the base, is about 2". I've had a quick search for "French razor blade container" and was surprised by the number of old packets of razor blades for sale, but the containers were all tins or wooden/cardboard boxes a bit like cigarette boxes. Maybe it was a decorative item in a barber's shop, for stylish French customers! I will keep an open mind, and thanks for the suggestion!

dgbjwc likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Something like a Schick injector blade cartridge might fit:
    [​IMG]

Could also be for more mundane things like matches or toothpicks.

i need help likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

toothpicks or more likely matches IMO

7. ValerieK

Thanks for all this, I had a fixed idea about the slot being for a spoon which I now think is wrong, used matches, razorblades or toothpicks all seem much more likely. I also agree that he is meant to be a Bonzo dog lookalike, so I looked up Bonzo and found he was most popular in the 1920's, drawn in a cartoon which was popular around the world, so that agrees with a French origin for this, in 1920's or 30's. If I ever find out what he sat on top of and what was put into his slot, I will let you know!

8. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Is it possible there was a lighter in there? I have a Bakelite clock with a lighter on top. I found one online with the lighter removed, and the seller described the rectangular hole on top as a place to store matches. Uh, no. I just don’t have the sense of dimensions of your piece, of how deep the hole is. Most toothpick holders I’ve seen have round holes.

9. ValerieK

The slot is about 1.8cms by 0.9 cms, it would have to be a very tiny lighter, but a long one or it would fall down inside the dog, which is about 7.5cms high. What is your clock like? But you have pointed to something important - why a rectangle rather than a circle? The difficulty is that the dog is hollow all the way down, so whatever was put in the slot would have to be a strange shape. Wait - I've found several Bonzo toothbrush holders made in occupied Japan, although the slot is actually much bigger on my piece, and I am sure it is French. Still, it's an idea, I'll keep searching. Thanks for the ideas!

Draft saved Draft deleted