Featured Cute Hand Painted Vase? Votive?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Feb 15, 2019.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this darling vase? It has a textured finish, hand painted decor and gold enameled lip. No signature but came from a huge art glass collection containing a great deal or Moser, Bohemian and French art glass. Interesting shape. Guess it could be a votive holder.......thought Japanese but was told it was not. dogvasea.jpg dogvase.jpeg dogvase3.jpeg dogvase2.jpeg dogvase7.jpeg
    Approx. h. 6.5”, w. 4.25"

dgbjwc, antidiem and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's goofy.(LOL) Two dogs hopping out, and background of pussywillows! The painting style is post-WWII and probably fairly recent Chinese. It looks like the painting they do on things meant for export. Beyond that...dunno.

George Nesmith and antidiem like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think you are right about its being meant to hold a votive candle. I have something of this shape from Imperlux. Has to be Asian: who else would come up with a design of 2 dogs stealing pussy willow stalks from inside a gift-wrapped melon?

laura9797 and dgbjwc like this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I dunno but I think it speaks Mandarin. The background looks like mold stippled so possibly machine blown. Just a WAG.

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like something from Bath & Body Works, or some place like that.

George Nesmith and Bronwen like this.
  7. laura9797

Not a chance. This couple had a glass collection that rivaled Cornings - many of their pieces were on loan to museums at one time or another during their lives. They were both well into their 80's when they passed. The decor might look 'cheesy' to some but it is actually very well painted and not a mass market piece you would find in Tuesday Morning or Bath & body works. I originally stated I thought it was Japanese and they did have a significant collection of glass works by Iwata Toshici and Nishinaka but this one might remain a mystery for now.

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You can't really go by the rest of their collection, since even the very wealthy may have received a gift from a grandchild or....

judy likes this.
  9. laura9797

I met them both years ago when they had part of their collection on display - I believe in the High Museum along with their Chihuly collection. They only displayed pieces they collected over 55+ years in their cases. This piece was in the display with some fantastic enameled glass from France, Japan, Germany, etc. They did have typical knick knacks and art projects from grandchildren but those were never in the illuminated cases with their art pottery and glass. They were very well known at Scotts marketplace in Atlanta back in the day when Scotts was the place to go to. I am sure I will eventually find something similar and the mystery will be solved. Until then, I have it in my office - I find it charming.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted